Premed 101 Forums

Rural family medicine renumeration

1 minute ago, medlover5885 said:

Hey guys,

quick Q- I have heard that family medicine physicians in rural locations make more money than urban family physicians. I have heard numbers as high as 800K billed per year. Does anyone know why this is exactly? Thanks!

You need incentives to get doctors to work in rural areas. Even with those incentives, they have a hard time recruiting people.

FM as a job is very different rural vs urban. None of my rural FM friends bill that much but I suppose that number could be possible depending on the province and incentives. 

11 minutes ago, blah1234 said:

You need incentives to get doctors to work in rural areas. Even with those incentives, they have a hard time recruiting people.

FM as a job is very different rural vs urban. None of my rural FM friends bill that much but I suppose that number could be possible depending on the province and incentives. 

ya sorry maybe should I mentioned this is what I have heard in districts including deep river, perth, kemptville.

The opportunity to make money is there but you will be working a lot. One of my preceptors was making over a million....long hours...like really long hours. like 16-17 hours of clinic work...plus emerg, hospitalist, deliveries, surg assist...being on call a lot...plus private stuff. 

I'll be starting practice in July working both in a major city, and a rural community. I hope to update the forum on what my work is like, and be honest with how much I am actually making...since this is never talked about. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/16/2019 at 6:23 PM, toastman said:

The opportunity to make money is there but you will be working a lot. One of my preceptors was making over a million....long hours...like really long hours. like 16-17 hours of clinic work...plus emerg, hospitalist, deliveries, surg assist...being on call a lot...plus private stuff. 

I'll be starting practice in July working both in a major city, and a rural community. I hope to update the forum on what my work is like, and be honest with how much I am actually making...since this is never talked about. 

I’d be very interested to hear your update. It’s a bit annoying that so few people talk frankly about remuneration. I didn’t go into medicine for the money but dammit I’ve got six figure debt and six mouths to feed; it’s nice to be able to set some decent projections.