Premed 101 Forums

Hey guys, 

Does anyone know exactly how deferrals are handled? If you are offered a seat in the MD program and elect to defer one year to finish a graduate program, do you lose your seat if you fail to finish your graduate program in that allotted year?

The reason I ask is because if I was accepted I would want to try and finish my graduate program, but I can't guarantee I'd be able to finish it in one year. I'm okay with gambling with my time and potentially just wasting another year on a program I can't finish, but I wouldn't want to gamble my seat under any circumstances. 

Anyone know how this would be handled?

Thanks in advance!

Depending on the school, you are not even allowed to apply to medical school if you can not confirm completion of the graduate program by June/July/August. I think nearly every school will not accept that as an acceptable reason for deferral, and they can actually rescind your offer if it is one of the many that has strict deadlines for graduate program completions in July. 

Unless you're finishing up a Rhodes scholarship, I doubt you can defer your acceptance for a graduate extension

The U of S does a lot of deferrals, there are 5 from the last admission cycle entering next fall for example.  I know of at least 4 deferrals in our class as well. I would recommend looking at the website, they address this in the application guide, then emailing Sherrill if you still have questions.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/21/2019 at 5:32 PM, Lordaveh said:

Hey guys, 

Does anyone know exactly how deferrals are handled? If you are offered a seat in the MD program and elect to defer one year to finish a graduate program, do you lose your seat if you fail to finish your graduate program in that allotted year?

The reason I ask is because if I was accepted I would want to try and finish my graduate program, but I can't guarantee I'd be able to finish it in one year. I'm okay with gambling with my time and potentially just wasting another year on a program I can't finish, but I wouldn't want to gamble my seat under any circumstances. 

Anyone know how this would be handled?

Thanks in advance!

you might not want to disclose too much during your convo with UoS admins b/c they might recindtheir offer due to your grad-program. 

On 4/10/2019 at 7:36 PM, i8aSS said:

you might not want to disclose too much during your convo with UoS admins b/c they might recindtheir offer due to your grad-program. 

This is the opposite of the truth.  You will not have an offer withdrawn for being in a graduate program, but you likely would if you failed to provide accurate transcripts & educational background.  Deferrals happen regularly at the U of S.

Archived