Premed 101 Forums

When to take the MCAT?

I am currently planning to take the MCAT on Aug 31st, and the score will be released on Oct 1. In the 2018-19 cycle, I believe it said that the scores on the last few days of August will not count, however, this year UBC has stated "Scores for late August MCAT exams may not be released in time for the MCAT score deadline of October 1, 2019, at 4:00 p.m. Pacific Time."

From what I am aware of, the scores will come out by 5:00 PM ET, which means they should be out by 2:00 PM PT. It'd be cutting it close, but would I still theoretically be able to do it? I'm not sure how complex the process is for submitting MCAT scores on the UBC portal (as I am a first time applicant).

As much as I'd like to take the exam during the week of Aug. 17, they have already been filled (I didn't have enough money when registration first opened due to a personal emergency).

42 minutes ago, icdt2018 said:

I am currently planning to take the MCAT on Aug 31st, and the score will be released on Oct 1. In the 2018-19 cycle, I believe it said that the scores on the last few days of August will not count, however, this year UBC has stated "Scores for late August MCAT exams may not be released in time for the MCAT score deadline of October 1, 2019, at 4:00 p.m. Pacific Time."

From what I am aware of, the scores will come out by 5:00 PM ET, which means they should be out by 2:00 PM PT. It'd be cutting it close, but would I still theoretically be able to do it? I'm not sure how complex the process is for submitting MCAT scores on the UBC portal (as I am a first time applicant).

As much as I'd like to take the exam during the week of Aug. 17, they have already been filled (I didn't have enough money when registration first opened due to a personal emergency).

Usually UBC will state on their website what the latest MCAT you can take (it’s usually around August 24-25). That being said, it’s likely more spots will open up around you for these dates or for slightly different dates that meet UBC’s deadline. Moreover, some people end up cancelling/rescheduling, so keep checking the MCAT registration page to make sure you snag one of those spots. I was in a similar position last year and I ended up registering in mid-May. PM me if you need more info :)

I hope that helps!

Dear icdt2018, 

Just adding my own anecdotal experience with regards to MCAT timelines (sorry if this is not well explained, I am fighting the flu so my head is a bit stuffy :eek:).

I am an applicant who wrote the MCAT multiple times (4 to be exact) and this used to be something I was embarrassed about. I thought I was the only one based on the chit chat you'd hear amongst other pre-med students. To be honest, many pre-meds will be dishonest about how they prepare for fear other students will copy/overtake them or they may choose to omit certain information with regards to their experience (perhaps its because it is such a competitive cohort of applicants they don't want to appear 'weak' stating out loud they took longer than the "average" applicant to study or having to write multiple times).

My biggest weakness with the MCAT was not giving myself the proper timeline to study. The last time I wrote my MCAT (and received my target score that allowed me to interview at UBC) I scheduled to write my MCAT and ended up pushing it a month later in order to ensure I truly felt prepared; therefore, I agree with what was said above that seats do end up opening up/being changed so make sure you keep an eye out on the schedule. Perhaps, make it a habit that you check the MCAT schedule each morning to see if a seat opened up (and if one does, grab it right away!). 

Secondly, I don't know where you are located, but for me, I wrote my exam in the USA (which actually has more dates available than Canada). If you are someone in British Columbia that is close to either Alaska or Seatle and could possibly write it in the US, there may be different dates available that you could look into. I personally wrote my MCAT in L.A. on a date that wasn't available in Canada. 

Lastly, and I said this before, make sure you are writing this exam when you feel ready. Different schools have different criteria for the MCAT (some schools, such as UBC, look at your best score whereas others look at your most recent score). Because of this, you want to make sure that when you write your exam, you are giving it your all so you aren't stuck the following year in the awkward predicament of "oh should I write it again? but what if my score goes down and the school only looks at my most recent score?".  Take this into consideration when you need to start studying (and don't feel embarrassed/ashamed if you feel that you need longer than the summer holidays to do so). I understand you want to meet the UBC deadline, so when you do figure out the date you want to sit the exam make sure you start well in advance. You could be like me where you decided you do want extra time to study and you may not have that ability to delay the exam based on UBC's timeline. Ensure you give yourself some wiggle room so the earlier you start, the better (personal opinion). Note, when I was at the UBC interview I met many applicants who wrote multiple times, and at my own MCAT when I spoke to other test writers before the exam, most of them took longer than a summer holiday to study.  

As for the complexity of submitting MCAT scores, it is actually very easy. When the date arrives that you can see your MCAT results, you will log onto the AAMC website and receive your test scores online. On that same website, there will be a section that allows you to 'send scores electronically'. You will simply add UBC to that list and submit that way (it won't be something you need to mail off that will take weeks to arrive in the post). It is something that can be achieved very quickly and will be all done online. If I remember correctly (but someone please correct this if I am wrong), on the UBC application you will simply upload your AAMC ID number and this is how UBC will equate the incoming electronic score from AAMC to you personally.

Best of luck and I hope this was helpful! :D

3 hours ago, icdt2018 said:

Yup, I agree with @this_process_is_death since I can also weigh in on late registrations.  From my experience, typically MCAT spots open up near the exam deadline dates (around the silver deadline, and especially before the bronze one).  So, if you're specifically looking for, say, the Aug. 17 exam, the silver deadline is on Aug. 2 and the bronze deadline is Aug. 9 – so checking for spots around those dates are very important; if you check enough, typically you should find a spot in Vancouver actually.

(Your exam's silver deadline, which is last day to reschedule your exam, is on Aug. 16 so that should be fine.)

You'd have to pay a fee to reschedule your exam though (I think it's like $90 or $95?), but considering the importance of meeting UBC's deadline IF you find out the Aug. 31 exam doesn't cut it, the fee is definitely worth it.  If you're experiencing financial struggles though, maybe you can checkout the Fee Assistance Program for Canadian examinees?  I haven't looked into it myself, so I don't know much about it.

Thanks @this_process_is_death @AnonymousApplicant and @Neurophiliac!

I think the problem this round is that they haven't written a clear date like what they did for the 2018-19 year.

2018-19 Cycle:

August 25, 2018

Last accepted MCAT test date. The August 31, 2018 MCAT sitting will not be accepted this cycle.

2019-20 Cycle:

August 31, 2019 Last accepted MCAT test date. Scores for late August MCAT exams may not be released in time for the MCAT score deadline of October 1, 2019, at 4:00 p.m. Pacific Time.

I think I'm just going to have to put my eggs in one basket and take the Aug. 31st exam (assuming that no one drops out for Aug. 17). I'll only be applying to Western and UBC so if it doesn't make the cut for UBC, I'll only apply to Western. I'm supposed to take a fifth year anyways so I'm not too bothered by it, and I want adequate time to prepare for the MCATs (so I don't want to take it in June/July). Thank you all for the help :D 

(I do think if everything's done online though I'll be able to submit my scores on time, unless something happens and AAMC doesn't release their scores by 5:00 PM ET).

3 hours ago, icdt2018 said:

Thanks @this_process_is_death @AnonymousApplicant and @Neurophiliac!

I think the problem this round is that they haven't written a clear date like what they did for the 2018-19 year.

2018-19 Cycle:

August 25, 2018

Last accepted MCAT test date. The August 31, 2018 MCAT sitting will not be accepted this cycle.

2019-20 Cycle:

August 31, 2019 Last accepted MCAT test date. Scores for late August MCAT exams may not be released in time for the MCAT score deadline of October 1, 2019, at 4:00 p.m. Pacific Time.

I think I'm just going to have to put my eggs in one basket and take the Aug. 31st exam (assuming that no one drops out for Aug. 17). I'll only be applying to Western and UBC so if it doesn't make the cut for UBC, I'll only apply to Western. I'm supposed to take a fifth year anyways so I'm not too bothered by it, and I want adequate time to prepare for the MCATs (so I don't want to take it in June/July). Thank you all for the help :D 

(I do think if everything's done online though I'll be able to submit my scores on time, unless something happens and AAMC doesn't release their scores by 5:00 PM ET).

I don't remember how long it takes exactly for the MCAT scores to be submitted electronically from AAMC to UBC because it was something I did in advance (so maybe someone else can way in here). It may be the case that even though it is submitted online relatively quickly, it takes the school around 24 hours to mark it as "received" from the time it is sent electronically from AAMC to the time UBC marks it down that they have received the adequate information. (Just keep this in mind because I'd hate to steer you the wrong direction where you leave everything to the last minute and when you are cutting it close with deadlines by the hour I don't want to be the one to have you miss the cut off, so give yourself some wiggle room if you can!) 

Yeah, I strongly agree with @Meridian.  The MCAT takes a lot of time and energy to prepare for — you don’t want to waste the effort you’re going to put into it by applying to only 1 school if you don’t meet the deadline for UBC.  The difference between Aug. 17 and 31 is only 2 weeks.  One can argue that those extra 2 weeks will probably not drastically improve your score anyway.  But of course, this is a total different issue if you legitimitaley can’t do Aug. 17 (but from your post, I’m assuming you can if you find an open seat).

Also, @AnonymousApplicant has a point.  I think there’s a 24 hr thing, which may be why UBC is giving the warning.

Honestly, why don’t you just email admissions and ask them?  They won’t mind the question.  You can try clarifying it with them.

• 3 months later...