Premed 101 Forums

MMI Disaster

11 hours ago, hiyayosup said:

Pretty sure I bombed mine...Messed up on simple instructions just cause it was a reflex and the interviewer was like "whaaaa..."

I know what you're referring to and to be honest I'm not sure if they will penalize you for it at all. I've never seen that instruction elsewhere and it seems so contrary to one's normal behavior

2 hours ago, waifu4laifu said:

I did it for one of my stations lol whoops. After I finished I looked at the prompt and read not to do it, was like “well there goes that one” rofl.

LOL SAME when I was speaking, I looked over at the prompt and saw it written at the bottom and I was just like o.o ohhh... no wonder they looked so confused :D I'm sure it happens a lot though, so I don't think it would be that big a deal... I hope..... (erg hopefully not red flagged as "can't follow instructions")

25 minutes ago, AlynHoffman said:

LOL SAME when I was speaking, I looked over at the prompt and saw it written at the bottom and I was just like o.o ohhh... no wonder they looked so confused :D I'm sure it happens a lot though, so I don't think it would be that big a deal... I hope..... (erg hopefully not red flagged as "can't follow instructions")

If you recovered well, after realizing that you were answering to the wrong part of the prompt, hopefully that brings points for being adaptable.. 
In a different MMI this year, I full on answered to the opposite of what my prompt wanted. :/

Happy to hear I wasn't the only one who screwed up on the simple instruction. I still feel like my MMI was a mess...I initially thought my panel went fine but bits and pieces of it come back to me as the days go by and I'm worried about how I came across now...not really sure what they were trying to assess with the panel../

Kind of a silly question but I realized that I don't really know what happens post-interview in terms of final decisions. Are numerical scores simply compiled and a list generated that way or do adcoms discuss and debate between applicants? I guess what I'm trying to ask is if final decisions are just summed scores of ABS/refs/MMI/panel or if those scores are debated such that someone with a lower score may be given preference over someone with a higher score? Do we know this?

6 hours ago, hiyayosup said:

Kind of a silly question but I realized that I don't really know what happens post-interview in terms of final decisions. Are numerical scores simply compiled and a list generated that way or do adcoms discuss and debate between applicants? I guess what I'm trying to ask is if final decisions are just summed scores of ABS/refs/MMI/panel or if those scores are debated such that someone with a lower score may be given preference over someone with a higher score? Do we know this?

I don't know about this either...I've always pictured adcoms sitting around a table and arguing back and forth in support of certain applicants but no clue if this is true 

On 3/29/2019 at 11:24 AM, ChickenDinner said:

I don't know about this either...I've always pictured adcoms sitting around a table and arguing back and forth in support of certain applicants but no clue if this is true 

without being specific to Queens I will say that actual debate is probably the opposite of what they are trying to do - you don't want powerful personalities tipping the balance. You also don't want people trying to remeber what they thought about candidate X several hours after you saw them - your evaluation is limited as a result. 

Modern MMI interview theory has people evaluated quickly and they the results summed later. Groups are kept separate to avoid bias. On panels people are supposed to evaluate people separately as well but of course it is a bit harder ha. 

32 minutes ago, rmorelan said:

without being specific to Queens I will say that actual debate is probably the opposite of what they are trying to do - you don't want powerful personalities tipping the balance. You also don't want people trying to reminder what they thought about candidate X several hours after you saw them - your evaluation is limited as a result. 

Modern MMI interview theory has people evaluated quickly and they the results summed later. Groups are kept separate to avoid bias. On panels people are supposed to evaluate people separately as well but of course it is a bit harder ha. 

So if its just a numerical summation, why does it take so long for schools to get back to us?

5 minutes ago, ChickenDinner said:

So if its just a numerical summation, why does it take so long for schools to get back to us?

Ha first and foremost there is not particular reason for them to be any faster - from their point of view. It is still all resolved months prior to the start time for the most part. Without any back pressure the date is only going to get pushed further out rather than reeled in. 

Next they all are released at the same time so they have to take a look at whatever is the slowest school and then add to that projected amount of time that school needs a generous safety factor to stretch it out even further. That pushes the date well beyond what is actually needed. 

End result - they have the answer very much sooner than they are released and premeds are left waiting in the wings until they decide to release them. 

This being said it is a complex process so safety factors are important - there have been a number of misfires in the past which have taught them to be very cautious. 

3 minutes ago, wishcalculator said:

This is the real question and applies to every school lol

Haha, tell me about it! It hasn't even been a week and my interview is all I think about...I didn't realize it would be this torturous...I know there's nothing I can do but I don't know how to stop...If anyone has any tips, I'd be grateful.

1 minute ago, rmorelan said:

Ha first and foremost there is not particular reason for them to be any faster - from their point of view. It is still all resolved months prior to the start time for the most part. Without any back pressure the date is only going to get pushed further out rather than reeled in. 

Next they all are released at the same time so they have to take a look at whatever is the slowest school and then add to that projected amount of time that school needs a generous safety factor to stretch it out even further. That pushes the date well beyond what is actually needed. 

Thanks @rmorelan That makes sense (from their perspective)...Sometimes I wish there was a way to provide schools feedback on the application process itself...Some of their procedures are just cruel and unusual punishment for applicants

3 minutes ago, ChickenDinner said:

Haha, tell me about it! It hasn't even been a week and my interview is all I think about...I didn't realize it would be this torturous...I know there's nothing I can do but I don't know how to stop...If anyone has any tips, I'd be grateful.

Thanks @rmorelan That makes sense (from their perspective)...Sometimes I wish there was a way to provide schools feedback on the application process itself...Some of their procedures are just cruel and unusual punishment for applicants

it can seem that way - I don't think they are indifferent but are rather unsure how to make it easier. 

One other factor - there is some logic to results not coming out in the middle of Apr, i.e. middle of exams. That for obvious reasons can be quite a stressful thing to endure, and there is no way to ensure it can be released well before exams either. 

2 hours ago, ChickenDinner said:

Keep busy, see friends, focus on school/work/volunteering, try a new hobby, read a book, watch Netflix, etc. Try mindfulness and staying present because it does no good to focus on something that is out of your hands now.

Archived