Premed 101 Forums

Are Interview Scores Standardized?

My interview went okay, but the panel felt kind of disconnected. I talked to some people after who seemed to have a more relaxed panel that laughed and smiled more than mine did.

I was wondering if the school evens out the interview scores from stricter or more lenient panels?

Thanks

Can confirm my interviewers did not show much emotion other than lots of head nods from the physician on the panel at the end of my answers and anytime I was looking at her. She was probably just being nice.  

On another note anyone else finding that time is passing by painfully slowly? The wait is unbearable 

On 3/26/2019 at 3:19 PM, Sweesy said:

My interview went okay, but the panel felt kind of disconnected. I talked to some people after who seemed to have a more relaxed panel that laughed and smiled more than mine did.

I was wondering if the school evens out the interview scores from stricter or more lenient panels?

Thanks

Like all schools yes there are checks and balances for that. Thus you shouldn't much stock in how the panel is reacting really. Some people naturally come off as strict because emotionally they don't want to become attached to anyone they may have to score low - there is a lot of pressure on examiners - they know the stakes, and the majority of the panel went through the process. Others are strict because they want to know how you respond to a bit of pressure, and they feel doctors have to be able to do handle that. It is natural that some will be a bit distant as a result. Others are putting on a friendly face for everyone to try to relax you. Neither approach is really telling you what is going on. 

One style of interview is more "comfortable" which may be more pleasant - although it can be dangerous because it is an interview and you don't want to let your guard fall. Others more painful - but in either case the result is the same as people are consistent across everyone they interview. You just have to do your best and mentally try to be prepared for either case. Not easy I know. 

You are going to constant rethink things, and obsess on details - although surprisingly people still don't know often how they really performed as the interview is a blur with a few points that just are burned in your brain. You don't have much to work with other than time so that makes things messy ha. As hard as it is do what ever you can to survive the wait and don't let it impact your current performance as you may need your current year potentially in a reapplication (a lot of luck in the game after all). 

Archived