Premed 101 Forums

Step 2 CK similar to MCCQE part1?

Hello,

I am a Canadian USMD 3rd yr medical student. Someone on the forum posted this along time ago:

"You don't need the MCCQE for Carms. IMGs don't even need it. (They do need the MCCEE and NAC). CMGs don't write it until after they match and you don't need it to start residency*. I would, however, recommend you consider taking it around the same time as your step 2 as the content is highly similar and you will save having to re-study. Obviously there are some Canadian specific things, especially the ethics and Canadian health care system portion, but most of my classmates and I used american test banks (Uworld step 2 bank) to study for the MCCQE.

*I have heard that you need it to start in Quebec but have not seen any evidence."

I sent them an email and was wondering in the meantime if anyone could answer my questions:

1) As a Canadian USMD I understand I do not need take MCCQE part 1 in order to match into a Canadian residency as a CMG, however I wanted to confirm that during one's residency    they will need to take MCCQE part 1 and 2 therefore it is wise to take MCCQE part 1 with Step 2 CK if possible.

2) For Step 2 CK I plan on using Uworld Step 2CK Q bank and online med ed notes. If I prepare for Step 2 CK will I be able to reasonably pass MCCQE part 1 (with extra studying for ethics and Canadian health care system portion you mentioned above. Also where can I find access to this information please?).  

3) Canadian medical students write MCCQE 1 after interviews/matching at the end of 4th yr, however since I will be taking QE 1 btw 3rd and 4th yr, if I happen to fail the exam am I required to report it since I rather not and plan to take it again before or after the match process.

• 1 month later...

On 3/29/2019 at 6:33 PM, iyin0991 said:

Hello,

I am a Canadian USMD 3rd yr medical student. Someone on the forum posted this along time ago:

"You don't need the MCCQE for Carms. IMGs don't even need it. (They do need the MCCEE and NAC). CMGs don't write it until after they match and you don't need it to start residency*. I would, however, recommend you consider taking it around the same time as your step 2 as the content is highly similar and you will save having to re-study. Obviously there are some Canadian specific things, especially the ethics and Canadian health care system portion, but most of my classmates and I used American test banks (Uworld step 2 bank) to study for the MCCQE.

*I have heard that you need it to start in Quebec but have not seen any evidence."

I sent them an email and was wondering in the meantime if anyone could answer my questions:

1) As a Canadian USMD I understand I do not need take MCCQE part 1 in order to match into a Canadian residency as a CMG, however I wanted to confirm that during one's residency    they will need to take MCCQE part 1 and 2 therefore it is wise to take MCCQE part 1 with Step 2 CK if possible.

Questionable,  since Canadian programs aren't used to looking at a score if you're in the main match stream (assuming you're MD not DO) all the QE1 could possibly do is hurt you.  A high score may not even be mentioned at the rank meeting because the Candian grads you're competing with won't have anything like it.  I would really not recommend taking it unless you had to take the EE and didn't score well enough (which as an USMD you shouldn't have to do).  The exam is a bit of a crap shot at the best of times as (and I'm sure you're sensing a theme here) it doesn't really impact CMGs futures and as such the questions really aren't curated very well

Again, there is a big difference between the US and Canada here.  In the US, completion of all three steps allows you to practice medicine according to the state medical boards which make it count for at least something and receive some scrutiny.  In Canada, you cannot practice independently until you've passed your board exams (Royal College or College of FP); the board exam is the major barrier and, again, this difference is reflected in the quality of the questions and the overall scrutiny and quality control the QE questions receive.   There is no such thing as an unsupervised, non-board certified, MD in Canada.  

•  

2) For Step 2 CK I plan on using Uworld Step 2CK Q bank and online med ed notes. If I prepare for Step 2 CK will I be able to reasonably pass MCCQE part 1 (with extra studying for ethics and Canadian health care system portion you mentioned above. Also where can I find access to this information please?).  

That's not a bad resource and it's what I used.  The C2LEO stuff is briefly outlined on the MCC website.  But, in general, since the MCC exams really don't have the same weight as the USMLEs on people's futures, there really isn't a comparable, high quality, Qbank like Uworld with the Canadian specific content.  Unfortunately, that's true with all of the material for the QE1 exam.  Most review material in Canada is held privately by medical students and passed down (somewhat ethically dubious, but that's how it works here).  If you have any Canadian medical student friends, beg them for their review notes and Qbanks.

3) Canadian medical students write MCCQE 1 after interviews/matching at the end of 4th yr, however since I will be taking QE 1 btw 3rd and 4th yr, if I happen to fail the exam am I required to report it since I rather not and plan to take it again before or after the match process.

Yes, you will be required to report it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...