Premed 101 Forums

pharmD vs Nut

Hello,

I have to choose between to become Dietitian or pharmacist? I love both but I have to chose one. What' you thinks guy? pro vs con for each job

Thank you

Bonjour,

Je dois choisir entre étudier pour devenir nutritionniste- diététiste ou pharmacien? J'aime les deux mais je dois en choisir un programme. Qu'est-ce que vous pensez mec? pour et contre pour chaque emploi

Je vous remercie

2 hours ago, Nutri-pharmD said:

Hello,

I have to choose between to become Dietitian or pharmacist? I love both but I have to chose one. What' you thinks guy? pro vs con for each job

Thank you

Bonjour,

Je dois choisir entre étudier pour devenir nutritionniste- diététiste ou pharmacien? J'aime les deux mais je dois en choisir un programme. Qu'est-ce que vous pensez mec? pour et contre pour chaque emploi

Je vous remercie

Hi, I am a student in dietetics at McGill.

The following is my own opinion and might not be fully accurate!

I wouldn't suggest anyone to go in dietetics, it's not as fancy at it looks from the outside.

First of all, dietitians are very low paid. If you plan to work in Quebec, the starting salary is only around 37-40k a year. Considering all the effort it requires, PT/OT are by far better options.

Second of all, dietitians aren't as respected as they used to. This is caused by contradicting opinions between dietitians and other health care professionals such as doctors. Dietitians mostly base their recommendations on a  diet's sustainability and long term benefits, whereas doctor like to see fast results. This is particularly true for the ketogenic diet. There has been an increasing amount of doctors promoting this diet for weight loss although scientifical knowledge about the subject is quite limited. Furthermore, this diet is highly unsustainable and can lead to severe ED.
The whole issue about this diet makes dietitians look too narrow-minded.(if you want to know more about it, search about : "Dre Evelyne Borduas-Roy" or "Isabelle huot")

Finally, getting a job in a hospital depends on luck and you might end up working at gyms and not having a stable salary. Running between many gyms or clinics is not sustainable since you are considered as an independent worker.

In conclusion, if the domain really interest you, then go for it! If you are looking for a calm and stable job don't choose dietetics.

Pharmacy also isn't easy either. My fiancee works long shifts (sometimes 12-16 hours), deals with angry customers, and stands on his feet all day. It's a highly stressful environment, especially if you're in a pharmacy processing over 500 scripts a day. Most days it's so busy he won't get a lunch break and also finds it hard to take a bathroom break. He also finds that some patients don't respect pharmacists at all. He's been called a "pill counter" several times. 

With that said, there are great patients who really appreciate his service. He loves helping patients on a one-to-one basis and is able to develop long-term relationships with them. The pay is also pretty good. It's around $45-50/hr. 

• 1 year later...
On 3/29/2019 at 10:50 PM, Butterfly_ said:

Pharmacy also isn't easy either. My fiancee works long shifts (sometimes 12-16 hours), deals with angry customers, and stands on his feet all day. It's a highly stressful environment, especially if you're in a pharmacy processing over 500 scripts a day. Most days it's so busy he won't get a lunch break and also finds it hard to take a bathroom break. He also finds that some patients don't respect pharmacists at all. He's been called a "pill counter" several times. 

With that said, there are great patients who really appreciate his service. He loves helping patients on a one-to-one basis and is able to develop long-term relationships with them. The pay is also pretty good. It's around $45-50/hr. 

Very true, I used to work in a pharmacy and I would see the pharmacist running around and being so stressed from the amount of prescriptions and the several problems he has to deal with everyday. Without mentioning the demanding and annoying patients and the fact that people really be disrespecting the pharmacist sometimes even if the role of the pharmacist is really important. There are sometimes where pharmacy gets really interesting when it gets to helping,  advising and even prescribing some meds for people with their medical issues as a frontline health professional. I started working in a pharmacy because I thought it was an amazing profession, but with amount of stress and rushing and disrespect of people and many issues, I kind of changed my mind since it doesn’t match my lifestyle even if the role of a pharmacist is crucial in our society.

Also, I am in nutrition at udem, it’s pretty interesting but you are very limited in terms of intervention in a patient’s life and I find it very large since u give pretty much (not all the time) general advices that may or may not work. With that comes the not-so-competitive salary. In terms of jobs, you can easily find since there are so many fields where a nutritionist can work (hospital, clinic, clsc, chsld, etc.) although as a part timer and replacement at first, but it’s pretty flexible if u wanna work in different fields at the same time. There’s also the “management” part where u can be responsible of the cuisine in a hospital or a CHSLD, which I truly dont like. The things that you learn in school are still pretty interesting (Most of the times).

On 3/29/2019 at 6:35 PM, Nutri-pharmD said:

Hello,

Thank you

Bonjour,

Je vous remercie