Premed 101 Forums

References Contacted 2018/2019

If references are contacted, does that mean that individual has met the cutoff score for admission? I believe I recall this being said at the post-MMI meeting but I just wanted to confirm. For example, if an OOP's references were contacted, does that mean they were ranked in the top 5 (as they currently only have 5 OOP spots open)?

7 hours ago, DEs said:

If references are contacted, does that mean that individual has met the cutoff score for admission? I believe I recall this being said at the post-MMI meeting but I just wanted to confirm. For example, if an OOP's references were contacted, does that mean they were ranked in the top 5 (as they currently only have 5 OOP spots open)?

DEs it means the person passed the interview, not that they will be offered admission.  Last year, I believe the OOP cut-off was roughly the 40th percentile in the interview, so anyone above that had their references contacted. 

10 minutes ago, h2flow said:

Interesting... last year the requirements to interview for OOP were far more stringent and they interviewed 45. Wonder what that means?

https://medicine.usask.ca/documents/ugme/admission/2018 Admissions Statistics 5-Year Summary.pdf

My guess is that a lot of OOP potential candidates did not bother applying this year, since the cut off was so high last year (99th percentile on MCAT!). Since MCAT is the only criteria for OOP applying to Saskatchewan, a lot of candidates probably decided it was not worth the effort or the money to apply this year.

20 minutes ago, AvgApplicant said:

OOP, also had references contacted

One reference let me know they had been contacted, and I asked another of mine and they mentioned they had not been contacted.

Thank you. I was just a bit curious because only one of mine had said they were contacted.

Has anyone had more than one reference contacted?

20 hours ago, purpley said:

If your references were contacted, it means that you passed the interview! You'll have to wait for decision day to learn if you are offered a position or if you've been wait listed. All the best! 

Doesn't it mean that as an IP your overall score was high enough for them to check your reference? I'm asking for insight b/c the way I see it is that I do not think it would be a good use of their time by contacting every person who only passed the interview when there is a chance that some of them might not have a high enough overall score to be accepted or on WL. Your thoughts?