Premed 101 Forums
windsormd1

Alberta vs Ontario for FP billing

Everybody keeps saying Alberta FP’s average 300k net after overhead, how true is this? And why? Is it a better reimbursement from the government? Better fee structure? Or just seeing more patients/lack of family doctors? 

I'm not sure if that figure is true, but I rotated with an FM who saw maybe 2-3 patients/hr from 9-12 and then 1-2/h from 1-4 only working Mon-Thu in a PCN (the AB equivalent of an FHO?) with no outside work, and he told me he billed $240k the previous year, with a similar setup and 30% overhead. Extrapolating that to someone who sees twice as many patients, it's not hard to imagine netting $300k in FM. Doctors in AB do have a more favourable fee structure than elsewhere (https://edmontonjournal.com/news/local-news/alberta-physicians-remain-nations-highest-paid-statistics-show). I'm told that FM in Edmonton and Calgary is now saturated though.

On 4/17/2019 at 1:03 PM, medigeek said:

How about Manitoba?

Depends on practice style, urban vs rural, still some salary vs FFS models, +1 gigs (Anesthesia, ER, Hospitalist, obs, etc.)

Overhead 20-30% usually, some setups, typically rural that <20%

McMedicine Docs just doing walk in >70+ patients a day can hit 7 figures - No cap limit on how many patients

Many FFS docs hit 400+ gross with or without +1 stuff going on, (includes +1, chronic care, private and public billings). Have to grind it out a bit for 500+. More "relaxed" practice is 300-350 gross.  ER or Hospitalist only can run you 300-375 without overhead. Pure rural practice with ER coverage will land you over 500+ but be prepared for the call.