Premed 101 Forums

Post Interview Feelings 2019

Honestly, it's always hard to gauge; considering all 4 stations I thought I did mediocre overall. I thought time went by really quickly at each station, and it felt more like a conversation rather than an interrogation lol. For 2 of them I talked all the way to the end, for another 2 I had time to ask the interviewers a question. 

I'm curious as to what other people think about interviewer behaviour/reactions. Like, how fake are they? If you get an interviewer that says "I think that was a really good answer" or at the end of the interview says "I think you'd make a great addition to the program" should these be taken seriously or is it just the interviewer trying to be nice without actually meaning what they say?

It was awesome man. They were so kind. Much better than westerns imho, more professional too. One station was hard af but overall, it was a great experience. I had one interviewer tell me i answered the questions very well. I had another interviewer tell me that the time with me flew by. The last interviewer was stone-faced and pressed hard on my answers. She wasn't impressed but it is what is. 

The interviewers are always quite pleasant at UofT in my opinion but I found some of the questions pretty loaded. I thought the question stem would just be the hard one then they kept the guns firing and I grew super exhausted and had a headache by the time the interview ended. I can barely remember if I had any positive feedback but I feel like I vaguely remember some. Felt great coming out of it but Im flipping back and forth and identifying weaknesses/points I could have added on.

lol I was waiting for someone to make this discussion thread... I was on the very first weekend. 

I had mixed feelings about it. The first station was kinda tough. the interviewer was pretty disengaged, was staring out the window and overall was really nit-picking at stuff I would say. This really through me off. But towards the end I really felt as if I gained my stride and was finally able to give him a decent answer. He ended the interview by saying, "that was very insightful" ... lol so I guess thats good?? 

The next station was a lot better. The interviewer was extremely friendly... he was like finishing my sentences and stuff lol. we even talked a bit about his career in medicine. 

The next station, the interviewer again was very friendly. I was telling this story and it was going horribly. At the end of the story, she was all like, "wow that was a amazing story!" and I was like wot? anyways this helped me gain some confidence and the rest went well. 

For the final station the interviewer was meh again. the interviewer was a lot more serious and didn't give any reaction. I felt like I missed saying some important things in this station. We were able to talk about her career afterwards. 

Overall I felt it went okay. When I came out, I was surprised to hear that many of the other interviewees found it pretty tough and were pretty down... at least the ones that I spoke to. I didn't feel mine went that bad tho! I'm interested to see how other people found it. 

U of T was the most pleasant interview for me, two of the interviewers were really chill, welcoming and nice. The two others were neutral. None gave me feedback, but sometimes they went off script to ask me a completely unrelated question about something I mentioned (i.e. when me and the interviewer did the same sport!)

Had my interview today! :)

The experience was great and interviewers were very friendly. I was able to get along really well with two of my interviewers, sort of with one, and meh with the last one. Overall, very conversational and different from the other interviews I've done. I guess the countdown to May 14 begins now....

• 1 month later...

Hey! I was just wondering how accurate post-interview impressions are? SO I have a 3.98 ( and I think rest of pre-interview score would have been great) and I think all of my interviews went overall very good! with 3 of the 4 I felt like i really connected with the interviewer. my concern is with the last guy.. he was very stone-faced.. he defs was interested in my experiences and gave off script questions.. i also answered the questions very well.. but at one point he re-directed me back to sticking with personal experiences because I was relating something to medicine.. so just unsure how to interpret that 

5 hours ago, keener12345 said:

Hey! I was just wondering how accurate post-interview impressions are? SO I have a 3.98 ( and I think rest of pre-interview score would have been great) and I think all of my interviews went overall very good! with 3 of the 4 I felt like i really connected with the interviewer. my concern is with the last guy.. he was very stone-faced.. he defs was interested in my experiences and gave off script questions.. i also answered the questions very well.. but at one point he re-directed me back to sticking with personal experiences because I was relating something to medicine.. so just unsure how to interpret that 

Not an expert here, obviously, but sometimes I wonder if they do this on purpose, like are told to. I've also had interviewers (not at U of T mind you) that do weird things like interrupt me frequently or just say/do really odd things that I've never encountered in any non-med/non-school related interview. It just makes me wonder if things are staged sometimes. However, maybe some interviewers just have those styles. Either way I wouldn't read too much into it. Just from looking at the Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted thread it seems like while many people's interviews must have went the way they felt, there's also plenty of people who thought the interview was awful, but got in and plenty of the opposite as well. I feel it's so hard to say if your read on interviewers is accurate and/or real (but very hard to not obsessively analyze, I know). Personally I flip flop between "that was the best" and "ugh that was awful why did I say or not say a, b, c". 

5 hours ago, keener12345 said:

For UofT in particular, they appear pretty skewed on a yearly basis. A lot of people have a great time at UofT but dont get accept post interview because UofT's style is conversational and almost encourages facilitating bonding with an interviewer rather than being a one sided talk show like MMI stations at certain Ontario universities (cough cough).
There was definitely a lot of variation between the interviewers that each interviewee group got. I've heard of some that were more open with feedback, saying things like good job, others whose experienced more impartial responses. Your description sounds like your person was engaged with you, but might have realized that going too far away from the central core of the answer would make an objective comparison with other applicants hard. At least, thats my interpretation for a similar issue. One of my interviewers started off with a very open ended question, then went into more deeper topics to which I gave two examples unrelated to medicine. Each time, my interviewer would ask for another example as if trying to look for ones more directly connected to medicine before she was satisfied with my answer and moving onto another follow up (that or she just gave up on me :P).  

8 minutes ago, struggling2getin said:

For UofT in particular, they appear pretty skewed on a yearly basis. A lot of people have a great time at UofT but dont get accept post interview because UofT's style is conversational and almost encourages facilitating bonding with an interviewer rather than being a one sided talk show like MMI stations at certain Ontario universities (cough cough).
There was definitely a lot of variation between the interviewers that each interviewee group got. I've heard of some that were more open with feedback, saying things like good job, others whose experienced more impartial responses. Your description sounds like your person was engaged with you, but might have realized that going too far away from the central core of the answer would make an objective comparison with other applicants hard. At least, thats my interpretation for a similar issue. One of my interviewers started off with a very open ended question, then went into more deeper topics to which I gave two examples unrelated to medicine. Each time, my interviewer would ask for another example as if trying to look for ones more directly connected to medicine before she was satisfied with my answer and moving onto another follow up (that or she just gave up on me :P).  

Thank you! Yeah so he redirected me in the beginning but after that I caught his vibe and it wasn’t a problem. Did crack a smile here and there and even made a joke. So I don’t think it was too damaging- guess we shall find out on Tuesday