Premed 101 Forums

Did anyone match into a west coast family medicine program and would like to switch for western university?

I have been chatting with the PGME offices and several provincial resident associations, and they said that a transfer is possible, and easier, if someone would like to swap. For family reasons, I really can’t end up at Western University. 

Did anyone who matched into family medicine in a west coast program want to trade?

thanks!

1 hour ago, hamham said:

If you really cannot spend 2 years at Western University, then why did you rank it in the first place? 

Perhaps their family matter only developed recently. A parent who got into an accident or was diagnosed with something that required constant care. I can see that being a reason for a program director to facilitate a transfer. That's the only situation where I have seen a cross-province transfer work before the R1 year even started unless FM program directors are more relaxed about their match lists. 

On 4/4/2019 at 3:26 PM, blah1234 said:

Perhaps their family matter only developed recently. A parent who got into an accident or was diagnosed with something that required constant care. I can see that being a reason for a program director to facilitate a transfer. That's the only situation where I have seen a cross-province transfer work before the R1 year even started unless FM program directors are more relaxed about their match lists. 

I had kind of something like this arise. Essentially, a family member has fallen ill. 

Could you tell me about the situation you heard working for this? How would I even be able to transfer if all the spots are filled?

Similar situation on my end, it sucks but still glad to have matched :/ 

On 4/8/2019 at 1:50 PM, autobioo said:

I had kind of something like this arise. Essentially, a family member has fallen ill. 

Could you tell me about the situation you heard working for this? How would I even be able to transfer if all the spots are filled?

2 hours ago, autobioo said:

I wish I could be more detailed but I don't know all the specifics. Essentially a peer had a parent was diagnosed with a terminal condition and they went to talk to the program about their situation and somehow was able to get the support they needed. I think extenuating circumstances like that can buy you some goodwill with PGME. I'm not sure what arrangements are possible with your program and some PD's may not be able to accommodate you.

I hope you are able to find a solution with your PGME. 

1 hour ago, JohnGrisham said:

What about taking a leave for 1 year and delaying Start? That way you can address family matters then start residency after.

Right, I did kind of consider this. The only issue is still leaving after that 1 year. If I did take a leave for 1 year, could I switch schools after that?

1 hour ago, autobioo said:

Right, I did kind of consider this. The only issue is still leaving after that 1 year. If I did take a leave for 1 year, could I switch schools after that?

Have you talked to your current family medicine program director at Western? Ask him or her or PGME at Western if they are willing to help you to facilitate the transfer.

The second step is to talk to the program director in Family Medicine at West Coast if they are willing to accept you. 

I don't think that there are other ways to work around this. If you could find a resident who is willing to switch with you before talking to PD, that would be ideal. 

Sorry to  hear about your family member, hope that he or she gets better soon. 

On 4/8/2019 at 4:05 PM, autobioo said:

Well, the question is, what is going on that taking 1 year away from it wouldnt be enough? There are very few situations where being away for 2 years(less if you factor in OOP electives in year 2) after 1 year leave of absence isn't doable. Unless of course youre in the situation where you need to be a primary care giver, which is very difficult to be in. May need to look at other means to make it work, given your unique situation as a medical trainee etc.