Premed 101 Forums

Second bachelors

Hi all, so I completed my neuroscience BSc at uoft with a 3.59 cGPA and did not take full course load AND my fourth year is my worst performance. So I was thinking of doing it all over again starting from scratch. But my worries are that my previous bachelors gets looked at. Anyone have any advice, as to why I should or should not do this? Or even where to attend for the second bachelors? 

I did a second one, gave me the chance I needed to get in. Second bachelors, especially fast track programs are great because you're done earlier, and you potentially can get another career out of it. But that is the rub, you want to pick something that the career it leads to is something you'd be interested in doing, because the reality is many applicants do not get into med. Another major thing to consider is WHY didn't you do well in the first degree, and make sure you fix that for the second one. Otherwise waste of time or money, unless you just want that second career. Schools like Ryerson, Toronto, and others have fast track for Nursing (which is somewhat subjective in grading), where as programs like Public Health/Occupational Health and Safety are marked more objectively via exams. Take some time to figure out what you think is best for you, look at alternative careers, and go from there. Medicine is a marathon, not a sprint. Good luck :).

I genuinely believe that had I taken full course load and benefitted from special calculations I would be very competitive ( wgpa would be aprox 3.78). Also I went through some financial crisis mid way and uoft environment did not help my cause. Im looking at the undecided program at york, such that I cna complete some of the course requirements for the states and also transfer into kinesiology thereafter. Have heard great things with regards to marks at york, and they do benefit from the same marking scheme as uoft and other big universities. If there are more preferred programs though Id be glad to know. 

4 hours ago, IMislove said:

I did a second one, gave me the chance I needed to get in. Second bachelors, especially fast track programs are great because you're done earlier, and you potentially can get another career out of it. But that is the rub, you want to pick something that the career it leads to is something you'd be interested in doing, because the reality is many applicants do not get into med. Another major thing to consider is WHY didn't you do well in the first degree, and make sure you fix that for the second one. Otherwise waste of time or money, unless you just want that second career. Schools like Ryerson, Toronto, and others have fast track for Nursing (which is somewhat subjective in grading), where as programs like Public Health/Occupational Health and Safety are marked more objectively via exams. Take some time to figure out what you think is best for you, look at alternative careers, and go from there. Medicine is a marathon, not a sprint. Good luck :).

I'd recommend doing what he says. I took the Public Health stream and became a Public Health Inspector (CPHI) and will be applying to med school soon. You can easily get a high GPA through this route. There are many premeds already in this fast tracking program now so it will only become more difficult. IMISLOVE was one of the first to do so but it is good he's sharing with everyone how easy the program is.

13 hours ago, jonny5 said:

I'd recommend doing what he says. I took the Public Health stream and became a Public Health Inspector (CPHI) and will be applying to med school soon. You can easily get a high GPA through this route. There are many premeds already in this fast tracking program now so it will only become more difficult. IMISLOVE was one of the first to do so but it is good he's sharing with everyone how easy the program is.

Is that the MPH or is it a bachelors degree?

On 4/7/2019 at 10:55 AM, jonny5 said:

ryerson two year bachelors. Check out some of the recent grads, they’re at queen medical school now. 

Sorry but how and where do you check out these grads that have been accepted? Just asking as I am interested in taking this program. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, lauren666 said:

Hey guys, so i was reading in the news today about how the Ontario government is to cut funding to Toronto Public Health. I wonder how this would effect job prospects as a future public health inspector, especially for us students planning to take public health as a second undergraduate degree....

Talk to imislove. He did a bachelor in public health and safety then became a public health inspector and started medical school this year. 

• 1 year later...
On 4/6/2019 at 10:17 AM, IMislove said:

Very insightful. I was also thinking of completing the 2 year accelerated public health degree at ryerson. Do you know if this program will be considered appropriate for most medical school including Western? I just want to make sure taking this program will not disqualify me from certain ontario medical schools