Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums

Recommended Posts

I was wondering what the career difference is for someone who did IM+ID vs. someone who did MedMicro? 

Can't someone who have done residency in MedMicro technically be able to do ID control etc? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Monkey D. Luffy said:

Actually med micro residency gives you an independent IM license as well. 

That's surprising. Just browsing around medical microbiology program descriptions, most seem to have only 2 years of clinical training (1 year general, 1 year ID).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/9/2019 at 10:50 AM, 1D7 said:

That's surprising. Just browsing around medical microbiology program descriptions, most seem to have only 2 years of clinical training (1 year general, 1 year ID).

My mistake, looked into it again and it's actually Medical Biochemistry (not Medical Microbiology) residency that gives you GIM license!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Monkey D. Luffy said:

My mistake, looked into it again and it's actually Medical Biochemistry (not Medical Microbiology) residency that gives you GIM license!

Does it still exist as its own specialty? I was under the impression it had been collapsed into Pathology. (Medical Biochemistry)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, John Galt MD said:

Does it still exist as its own specialty? I was under the impression it had been collapsed into Pathology. (Medical Biochemistry)

Don't really know, but there's 4 spots for it from IM across Canada (2 anglophone).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, John Galt MD said:

Does it still exist as its own specialty? I was under the impression it had been collapsed into Pathology. (Medical Biochemistry)

You might be right, I can no longer find it under the CaRMS programs listing. It definitely used to be a 5 year direct entry program that resulted in both an IM and medical biochemistry certification.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I looked at these programs not too long ago, and the ones I was checking out (not sure which) offered 2 years of IM + 3 years of medical microbiology which ended up giving you a medical microbiology certification only, but they allowed you to do 3 years of IM + 3 years of medical microbiology which ended up giving you a certification in medical microbiology + GIM + ID.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×