Premed 101 Forums

How much money is TOO much money?

I've been really struggling trying to determine how much money is simply too much. I've interviewed for Glasgow Caledonian (waiting on the results), and it's staggering looking at the numbers. Occupational therapy is absolutely what I want to do, but how do you decide when enough is simply enough? This is my second year applying, and of course, I'm waiting to hear back from Candian schools, but my stats aren't impressive, so I'm dealing with the very real possibility that going abroad might be my only option. What are your thoughts? Apologies for the rant, it's just something I had to get off my chest. 

I think that there are a number of things to consider....

1) Are you absolutely sure about OT? (it sounds like you are)

2) Whats your timeline? How many times are you open to reapplying to Canada (strengthening your app in the process to hopefully increase those chances)? Or is it a better choice for you to save up before going away?

3) Where you want to work eventually.. and the years and effort it would take to re-certify if you came back to Canada/ When you can be working as a certified OT.

4) Your current financial situation and where the debt of going international would put you?  Where you would get loans? But also how/when you may be paying back the student debt with the salary of a working OT?

5) How big the pros and cons are of being away from your home in Canada- Social/Psychological.

I was in a similar position- strongly considering going internationally before getting an offer in Canada on my second try. Money is a huge factor in decision making but for me, it was also time away from my social circle and trying to set up my life during those (at least) two years, and also my concerns about certifying in Canada when I potentially came back. For me, it was much more important to be close to my family and friends... so I tried multiple years and improved my app. 

Sending empathy and the best of luck!

Archived