Premed 101 Forums

May 14 Countdown

2 hours ago, Poloma said:

If I get in I am quitting omg 

I'm reaaalllly contemplating this too. Morale at my work is at an all time low and everyone is miserable. Holding onto that glimmer of hope that something will come but honestly whether its a yes or a no i'm probably quitting anyways lol.

5 hours ago, Poloma said:

If I get in I am quitting omg 

unfortunately a condition that my PI set when he hired me was that I'd stay and do my summer internship with him regardless of what happens with med admissions so I can't go back on my word and quit haha

The Cycle of Waiting

1. Hoping: “I have good stats, I think! I did okay in the interview...let me check the Accepted/Rejected/Waitlist thread again...”

2. Imagining: “If I get in, what will I do? Who do I tell first? What do I put on my Facebook? Omg I’d have to quit my job. Would I cry?.”

3. Someone asks you “What’s up?” or “How are you doing?” Or EVEN WORSE: “Any word yet?” This derails your confidence immediately.

4. Racing Heart: “crap crap crap what if I don’t get in? I’d have to tell everyone right? I’d have to start over...I’d have to retake the MCAT.” *lurks on PM101, r/MCAT and r/premed to torture self*

5. Wallowing: “I am not a competitive applicant. I shouldn’t have applied. I wonder what the career prospects are like for goat herding?” *aggressive googling* *cycles through memory of the interview for the trillionth time* *spends weirdly long time reading the medical school website when you’ve memorized it already* *a lot of sighing*

6. Try to Distract Yourself: Start reading books you’ve read already, start going on weird subreddit and YouTube spirals, start researching alpaca farming. “I wonder what Snooki is up to these days?” Wallow/Hoping cycle begins again. You wonder if you should’ve just gone into banking or teaching or public service like everyone else. More sighing. You go on YouTube again. 

6. The cycle restarts. 

1 hour ago, warthog said:

The Cycle of Waiting

1. Hoping: “I have good stats, I think! I did okay in the interview...let me check the Accepted/Rejected/Waitlist thread again...”

2. Imagining: “If I get in, what will I do? Who do I tell first? What do I put on my Facebook? Omg I’d have to quit my job. Would I cry?.”

3. Someone asks you “What’s up?” or “How are you doing?” Or EVEN WORSE: “Any word yet?” This derails your confidence immediately.

4. Racing Heart: “crap crap crap what if I don’t get in? I’d have to tell everyone right? I’d have to start over...I’d have to retake the MCAT.” *lurks on PM101, r/MCAT and r/premed to torture self*

5. Wallowing: “I am not a competitive applicant. I shouldn’t have applied. I wonder what the career prospects are like for goat herding?” *aggressive googling* *cycles through memory of the interview for the trillionth time* *spends weirdly long time reading the medical school website when you’ve memorized it already* *a lot of sighing*

6. Try to Distract Yourself: Start reading books you’ve read already, start going on weird subreddit and YouTube spirals, start researching alpaca farming. “I wonder what Snooki is up to these days?” Wallow/Hoping cycle begins again. You wonder if you should’ve just gone into banking or teaching or public service like everyone else. More sighing. You go on YouTube again. 

6. The cycle restarts. 

I didn't know it could be expressed so perfectly in words.

13 hours ago, duckduckgoose18 said:

I'm in this weird place where I want to know, but I also want to cling on to the little hope that I still have. :(

I relate to this so hard.

2 hours ago, warthog said:

The Cycle of Waiting

6. The cycle restarts. 

This is just perfect! I've mostly been in the Racing Heart, Wallowing, and Trying To Distract Myself stages. I've been watching a lot of Bob Ross videos on YouTube. He's so calming, he makes me feel like things will be okay no matter what.

2 hours ago, SmartfoodLover said:

I honestly wish they didn't tell us what day they were releasing results. I think I would be mentally torturing myself so much less... :blink:

Fair, I prefer having a set day lol. When interviews were being sent out there were expert level theories on the release dates with some going as far back as 2009 to make estimates :lol:

Best of luck tomorrow everybody and thank you for the company :) you definitely helped me stay a little more sane and a lot less alone. I hope you all hear some good news tomorrow and whatever happens, you've all done an amazing job working hard over the years, putting your best application forward and waiting through this crazy process. 

It kind of feels weird knowing that in less than 24 hours, the trajectory of my life could be drastically different. 

On the other hand, I sincerely wish you all the best of luck!!! Regardless of the result, you took on this process. You committed to every step, and you made it this far — there are many that didn’t! 

114CFBC3-67C8-47D8-B610-C713F1D3904B.png