Premed 101 Forums

If you had a year off, what would YOU do?

LiconC

I am just about to finish my degree and I'm writing the MCAT this summer, so BEST case scenario I won't be starting in an MD program for a whole year. So, I am trying to figure out what to do, and I thought I would ask all of you what you, personally, would do if you had a year off like I do. I'm looking for ideas!

4 minutes ago, Prolene said:

I would travel and do mission trips. As exciting as it sounds, it's probably a faraway dream lol

I've thought about this, but I have noticed that a lot of the organizations that do it seem to be really profit driven. Like I feel like I can't even research volunteer abroad opporunitites because there are just like 10 pages of really profit driven companies trying to sell me stuff on google. 

1 minute ago, LiconC said:

I've thought about this, but I have noticed that a lot of the organizations that do it seem to be really profit driven. Like I feel like I can't even research volunteer abroad opporunitites because there are just like 10 pages of really profit driven companies trying to sell me stuff on google. 

I didn't look into it but I'm glad you pointed this out. How about DoctorsWithoutBorders? Is it for profit too?

Just now, Prolene said:

I didn't look into it but I'm glad you pointed this out. How about DoctorsWithoutBorders? Is it for profit too?

MSF would be pretty good actually, the thing though is that they usually want you to commit to an entire year away, like a full 12 months. Honestly, I would be willing to do that. i am qualified for some of the jobs due to my experience doing bush work/ running remote camps, but I would also like some more hands-on medical care-based stuff, rather than running a camp. 

30 minutes ago, ballsortahard said:

Pretty sure doctors without boarders requires you to have some sort of fairly meaningful skill (and previous work experience) prior to bringing you on.  Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes. Most real organizations dont take people without real skills. If you have no skills and someone is willing to take you, and your $$$, then its probably not a good organization.

If possible, do something fun, without regard for whether it will boost your application or not. Do what makes you happy. Do something you’re passionate about.

Solo-travel is a wonderful way to experience different cultures, gain a new perspective and develop self-awareness.

If finances are a concern, then perhaps get a job and save up $$ for school. 

I agree with everyone with doing something that you enjoy, but do keep in mind that there is still the chance you'll need more than 1 year to get in to med school. In that case, it's a good idea to have a plan for what you're going to do when you get back from your one year off, and continue to work on building your application through things you enjoy as well. 

1 hour ago, Egg_McMuffin said:

If I had that option I'd pick something that helps me grow as a person and most importantly as un-related to medicine as possible. Once you get in you'll see how valuable that time away from the premed and med bubble is.

Thats really interesting advice and it makes a lot of sense. 

On 4/12/2019 at 1:15 AM, JohnGrisham said:

Yes. Most real organizations dont take people without real skills. If you have no skills and someone is willing to take you, and your $$$, then its probably not a good organization.

Very true, I've heard some people do take you on as long you pay $$ which honestly sucks.

Would also second what @Egg_McMuffin said - something very very un-related to medicine. If money isn't a concern, I'd travel as much as possible. If it is, then I'd get a part-time/contract job (or perhaps a few jobs) in something service-related/touristy. I worked at a really popular tourist attraction (not an amusement park) for a while before starting med, and that job honestly taught me so much about myself, about people in this world, and just about the non-medicine working world in general. As much as it was kind of awful at times during it (I lost a little bit of faith in humanity while working there and seeing the way people acted), I'm really glad I had that experience and I wouldn't give up that time in my life for med-related experiences. Once you start med, it really can be quite all-consuming and if you aren't consciously aware of it, you'll one day realize that the only people you interact with and are friends with on a daily basis are all in medicine or healthcare.

I completely agree with what xiphoid and Egg_McMuffin said as well as everyone before me. I haven’t gotten into med school yet, but I was rejected post interviews last year. I took a year off to work (service/tutoring) and also spent 2 weeks to backpack on my own (in Europe).  Meanwhile, spent lots of time with fam&friends, tried many new activities (made a bucket list), read (books/finance articles/news). I really cannot stress how important it is to forget about the med process for a while and really take some time for yourself. You will look back and see how much you have grown as a person, the breadth of opportunities outside, and how vast the world is. You gain a lot of understanding of both the world and more importantly yourself. It is definitely a personal investment and you get to do something you enjoy. At the same time, these experiences are exactly what is going to get you into med, because they truly make you who you are and that’s what the adcoms want to see. Just take it easy on yourself and do whatever you’ve been wanting to do, while obv still maintaining everything you need for next cycle.