Premed 101 Forums

1st year resident take home pay

20 hours ago, Heisenberg_ said:

On average, how much do  2018  PGY1 residents in Ontario make after tax?

They usually reimburse all taxes,  since our tuition credit is quite high. 

The tuition credits run out by PGY3. So you make around 60,000 as a PGY1 in Ontario (you don't pay any taxes given we invested so much for our medical school tuition)!

The call stipends depend on your specialty, but 1 in 4 call sounds about right for the majority of off-service in-hospital rotations.

I do agree that 60,000 is pretty good unless you live in Toronto, where the rent is crazy high (> 2000 for "1 bedroom apartment" no utilities included). 

On 4/14/2019 at 12:45 PM, LittleDaisy said:

They usually reimburse all taxes,  since our tuition credit is quite high. 

The tuition credits run out by PGY3. So you make around 60,000 as a PGY1 in Ontario (you don't pay any taxes given we invested so much for our medical school tuition)!

The call stipends depend on your specialty, but 1 in 4 call sounds about right for the majority of off-service in-hospital rotations.

I do agree that 60,000 is pretty good unless you live in Toronto, where the rent is crazy high (> 2000 for "1 bedroom apartment" no utilities included). 

Yes, this. The tuition tax credits you amass are actually incredibly helpful because it means you essentially aren't paying taxes for the first few years of residency. 

1 hour ago, insomnias said:

Those of us who move from OOP or started studying after 2017 will still end up paying provincial taxes, however, since Ontario abolished the provincial tuition tax credit in 2017 and doesn't provide credit for provincial tuition tax credits from other provinces:mad:

Yeah not going to lie, that is an INCREDIBLY raw deal.

• 4 months later...
On 4/16/2019 at 5:30 PM, insomnias said:

Those of us who move from OOP or started studying after 2017 will still end up paying provincial taxes, however, since Ontario abolished the provincial tuition tax credit in 2017 and doesn't provide credit for provincial tuition tax credits from other provinces:mad:

Wait so we don't get 15% back on any tuition paid starting in 2017?!

1 hour ago, Internalmed1234 said:

What about if you studied in ontario and moved OOP for residency (Alberta)? 

It's based on the province you file your taxes in when you are in school, because that's when you accrue tuition tax credits. So if you were filing your taxes in Ontario throughout medical school, you haven't accrued tuition tax credits since 2017.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/5/2019 at 8:49 PM, Internalmed1234 said:

What about if you studied in ontario and moved OOP for residency (Alberta)? 

Actually, I'd asked an accountant at BDO a variation of that question: what if I move to ON, don't fully exhaust my tuition tax credits, and move back to AB? AB considers the unused provincial amount to be equal to the unused federal amount. So you will get AB tax credits moving ON->AB but not vice-versa. Which blows, since I have ~$200k of those and kind of wanted to do my residency in Toronto/Montreal/Vancouver -- none of which have provincial tuition tax credits anymore as of 2019.