Premed 101 Forums

My husband did his medical degree in Australia, and if we could go back and do it again, I would tell him not to go. Only because we want to return to Canada, and it's extremely hard - if you want to stay in Australia go for it. Not worth the $250,000 debt we're in that's for sure.

21 hours ago, jm09hb said:

My husband did his medical degree in Australia, and if we could go back and do it again, I would tell him not to go. Only because we want to return to Canada, and it's extremely hard - if you want to stay in Australia go for it. Not worth the $250,000 debt we're in that's for sure.

I plan to stay in Australia - or specialize there in Family medicine and return to Canada. But I will not be applying for residency in Canada. 

3 hours ago, ABCD13 said:

I plan to stay in Australia - or specialize there in Family medicine and return to Canada. But I will not be applying for residency in Canada. 

Cool, if you're going the FM route in Australia (like my husband is currently applying for the GP training program right now) you'll have to get your permanent residency before applying. Temporary visa holders (like him) can apply to do their training in rural Northern Territory. Just a heads up - because wish we knew this info sooner.

• 1 month later...
On 4/17/2019 at 3:09 AM, jm09hb said:

Cool, if you're going the FM route in Australia (like my husband is currently applying for the GP training program right now) you'll have to get your permanent residency before applying. Temporary visa holders (like him) can apply to do their training in rural Northern Territory. Just a heads up - because wish we knew this info sooner.

Even with a permanent residency, what does the route look like for what would be equivalent to a surgical residency out there in Australia? (aside from it being competitive, I assume)