Premed 101 Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ABCD13

Australia + GPA (coursework after undergrad)

Hello,

I am considering going to Australia for medical school. I understand that they look at the GPA of your undergraduate degree, however, I am a mature applicant and so I have done 3+ years post-undergrad of undergraduate coursework (Full-time and Part-time). I am wondering if these years are taken into consideration or will it just be the years within my undergraduate degree (similar to Ottawa MD).

Any information would be appreciated!

My husband did his medical degree in Australia, and if we could go back and do it again, I would tell him not to go. Only because we want to return to Canada, and it's extremely hard - if you want to stay in Australia go for it. Not worth the $250,000 debt we're in that's for sure.

21 hours ago, jm09hb said:

My husband did his medical degree in Australia, and if we could go back and do it again, I would tell him not to go. Only because we want to return to Canada, and it's extremely hard - if you want to stay in Australia go for it. Not worth the $250,000 debt we're in that's for sure.

I plan to stay in Australia - or specialize there in Family medicine and return to Canada. But I will not be applying for residency in Canada. 

3 hours ago, ABCD13 said:

I plan to stay in Australia - or specialize there in Family medicine and return to Canada. But I will not be applying for residency in Canada. 

Cool, if you're going the FM route in Australia (like my husband is currently applying for the GP training program right now) you'll have to get your permanent residency before applying. Temporary visa holders (like him) can apply to do their training in rural Northern Territory. Just a heads up - because wish we knew this info sooner.

On 4/17/2019 at 3:09 AM, jm09hb said:

Cool, if you're going the FM route in Australia (like my husband is currently applying for the GP training program right now) you'll have to get your permanent residency before applying. Temporary visa holders (like him) can apply to do their training in rural Northern Territory. Just a heads up - because wish we knew this info sooner.

Even with a permanent residency, what does the route look like for what would be equivalent to a surgical residency out there in Australia? (aside from it being competitive, I assume)