Premed 101 Forums

Hey everyone,

I understand this can be a very stressful time for all of you. I applaud you all for putting yourselves out there and for applying to some of the best programs in the country! I am a year 2 Mac OT student and I'm here if anyone has any questions! :) Wishing each of you the best of luck on this daunting but incredible journey!  

6 hours ago, ClarissaJ. said:

What GPA did you get in with? And how did you study for your MMI's. Overall how would you say the workload and classes are in comparison to undergrad? 

Hi there, 

My GPA was 3.8 but I know the GPA cutoff for an interview for our class was 3.72. Once you're offered an interview at Mac and you do the MMI, your GPA is only considered 25% of the final decision, and the majority of the decision is made based on how you did on the MMI (75%). You get offered an interview based on your GPA, but the deciding factor really is your MMI. 

I did MMI training to prepare for it. My friend, who applied for the Doctor of Dentristy program at another university, and I did it together so we'd have better chances of doing well. 

The workload is definitely a lot. However, absolutely doable. If you're a hard worker and you're willing to put in the time and effort, you'll do great. I found Term 1 of Mac OT to be very time consuming because I had no prior anatomy background and I spent all of my free time studying for anatomy. You'll be expected to be on campus and in-class at lot during this program. I think in Term 1 you have most Wednesdays free. 

4 hours ago, OTapplicant19 said:

Thanks for offering your insight! Wondering how you found the anatomy portion of the program? Coming from someone who has zero anatomy background from undergrad. 

Thank you for the thanks! 

I came into the program without any prior anatomy knowledge as well. It was tough, I'm not going to lie. I had to put a lot of time and effort into studying for anatomy at home, and in the lab studying the specimens. In Term 1, you're only in class for 8 or 9 weeks and then you go on placement for 4 weeks. You learn just as much anatomy in those 8 weeks that you would in a full course in undergrad. It is a lot of information and it is fast-paced but it is absolutely doable! And the first two academic terms fly by so fast that it'll be over in no time. I wish you all the best!!