Premed 101 Forums

Good luck on your application ! 

Plastic Surgery had a 1:0,48 ratio (applicant:position) this year. It is very competitive so you have to start preparing for it as early as possible.

About residency application, you should start first year to show your interest in the discipline. Try to shadow at your home school as early as you can to confirm your interest (sometimes you might change your mind) and seek for research opportunities ! This could allow you to present at local/national/international conference and maybe publish some of your work which is a strong asset for residency application (even if you change your mind on the discipline). For electives, it is always a good idea to visit as many programs as possible!

I can't give you any tips more specific to plastic surgery, but these can be used for most of surgery disciplines.. 

1 hour ago, lIlIlIIII said:

Hello everyone,

Let me start off by saying I am not a gunner and I am not in it for the money, power, or prestige. However, your motivation doesn't make or break you as a competitive candidate.  I am seeking some insights, information, tips that will help me maximize my chance at my goal of becoming a plastic surgeon.

A little bit about me - I interviewed at couple Ontario schools this cycle and hopefully I might be able to matriculate. For a very long time, I wanted to be a plastic surgeon because I've always been interested in aesthetic side of things and what determines whether we perceive someone as beautiful/attractive. Only relatively recently I found out that plastic surgery is a hyper-competitive specialty, and while it bummed me out, it is still my dream. 

I just have so many questions like do I have to start seeking opportunity starting first year? What electives do I take? But at the same time, I feel like I don't even know enough to ask the right questions..

You should wait until you enter medical school before deciding on a specialty. 

- G

41 minutes ago, GH0ST said:

You should wait until you enter medical school before deciding on a specialty. 

- G

Totally agree! 

Most of my colleagues changed their mind during medical school, but I know a few who kept their initial idea. Shadow as much as you can during preclinical years and if you stick to surgery, then starts research. 

"Let me start off by saying I am not a gunner and I am not in it for the money, power, or prestige.... For a very long time, I wanted to be a plastic surgeon because I've always been interested in aesthetic side of things and what determines whether we perceive someone as beautiful/attractive." 

Aite fam..just become an aesthetician...a lot quicker training...a lot less financial cost and opportunity cost. and that fits your goals as described above. :)

30 minutes ago, #YOLO said:

"Let me start off by saying I am not a gunner and I am not in it for the money, power, or prestige.... For a very long time, I wanted to be a plastic surgeon because I've always been interested in aesthetic side of things and what determines whether we perceive someone as beautiful/attractive." 

Aite fam..just become an aesthetician...a lot quicker training...a lot less financial cost and opportunity cost. and that fits your goals as described above. :)

Agree with this actually. Or do research on the topic. You don’t need to be a doctor to know what makes someone attractive or how humans perceive beauty.

1. Have some decency. You’re not even in med school yet. IF you get into med school, I urge you to actually spend time shadowing a variety of specialties to see what you like and don’t like before deciding. Chances are you haven’t a clue what a plastic surgeons life as actually like.

2. If your primary goal out of med school is aesthetics, you will severely, greatly, absolutely, and regrettably HATE going through absolute hell of med school, residency, fellowships and getting practice started in cosmetics. I don’t care why people go into medicine, or what specialty they choose - everyone has their own reason, but for your sake I hope it’s more than just cosmetics. Everyone thinks cosmetics is la-dee-da hang a sign and now you’re Beverly Hills chillin’, but it’s seriously an absolute grind. The money involved in setting up a fancy private clinic, the time it takes to get a decent patient load, and the hours involved in clinic, surgery and managing your business is no joke. That’s to say nothing about being able to carve out a niche in already saturated big cities  

3. Chill. Plastics chooses you, you don’t choose platics. If they want you, it will work out that way. 

9 hours ago, ZBL said:

Agree with this actually. Or do research on the topic. You don’t need to be a doctor to know what makes someone attractive or how humans perceive beauty.

1. Have some decency. You’re not even in med school yet. IF you get into med school, I urge you to actually spend time shadowing a variety of specialties to see what you like and don’t like before deciding. Chances are you haven’t a clue what a plastic surgeons life as actually like.

2. If your primary goal out of med school is aesthetics, you will severely, greatly, absolutely, and regrettably HATE going through absolute hell of med school, residency, fellowships and getting practice started in cosmetics. I don’t care why people go into medicine, or what specialty they choose - everyone has their own reason, but for your sake I hope it’s more than just cosmetics. Everyone thinks cosmetics is la-dee-da hang a sign and now you’re Beverly Hills chillin’, but it’s seriously an absolute grind. The money involved in setting up a fancy private clinic, the time it takes to get a decent patient load, and the hours involved in clinic, surgery and managing your business is no joke. That’s to say nothing about being able to carve out a niche in already saturated big cities  

3. Chill. Plastics chooses you, you don’t choose platics. If they want you, it will work out that way. 

Nevermind the fact that plastics isn't all about making people beautiful. There's a lot to plastics that is just plain grotesque and nasty ie sacral ulcers, burns etc.. And talkign to a few plastic surgeons, the cosmetic side of things is a tough gig. Patients often expect more, are often dissatisfied with the cosmetic result and are often more vocal about their dissatisfaction.

11 hours ago, UdeMed said:

Totally agree! 

Most of my colleagues changed their mind during medical school, but I know a few who kept their initial idea. Shadow as much as you can during preclinical years and if you stick to surgery, then starts research. 

I am not going to assume what OP knows about plastic surgery or their reasons behind trying to be a plastic surgeon. But it is interesting to see how many people stick to their original idea that they had before or early on in medical school versus people who change their minds later on. I have seen both. Nevertheless, it is never too early to gun for plastics. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/17/2019 at 3:50 PM, lIlIlIIII said:

Hello everyone,

Let me start off by saying I am not a gunner and I am not in it for the money, power, or prestige. However, your motivation doesn't make or break you as a competitive candidate.  I am seeking some insights, information, tips that will help me maximize my chance at my goal of becoming a plastic surgeon.

A little bit about me - I interviewed at couple Ontario schools this cycle and hopefully I might be able to matriculate. For a very long time, I wanted to be a plastic surgeon because I've always been interested in aesthetic side of things and what determines whether we perceive someone as beautiful/attractive. Only relatively recently I found out that plastic surgery is a hyper-competitive specialty, and while it bummed me out, it is still my dream. 

I just have so many questions like do I have to start seeking opportunity starting first year? What electives do I take? But at the same time, I feel like I don't even know enough to ask the right questions..

Plastic surgery is prestigious, but I think you may be disappointed if you went into it for the money or power. 

The principles that helped you to get into medical school, are the same principles that will help you get into a competitive residency -- hard work, research, leadership and strong interpersonal skills.

A lot of those questions regarding how to go about seeking opportunities will be answered in the first few months of starting medical school.