Premed 101 Forums

OOP Non-Maritime Essays Dalhousie Medical School

Hello all!

I'll be a second-year student at the University of Windsor come September 2019. I'm really interested in applying to Dalhousie Medical School in my fourth year. In saying so, I decided to start preparing for my personal essay and figure out what to write for the additional 250-word essay for non-maritime applicants. In the short 250 or less word essay, applicants must address their connection to the Maritime provinces. 

So, here's the thing. I don't have any connection to the Maritime province, aside from one "connection." Which is my coworker, who is my friend, she graduated from Dalhousie University. But I don't think I should include that because, for this section of the essay, we are to illustrate why this connection gravitated the applicant to Dalhousie Medical School. My question is, should I be honest and mention that I don't have any connection to the Maritime provinces that convinced me to apply to Dalhousie? And use this as a leverage point and address why I think A. Despite there not being a connection, say something along the lines of the Dal Med dynamic and unique curriculum interests me etc etc etc and B. Further elaborate on why I think, upon conferring my medical degree, Dal Med school will prepare me for the medical field and mention their research in medicine program, rural week, and unique educational approach by incorporating hands-on learning and patient interaction such as VPP. I understand that the Non-Maritime 250-worded essay is crucial for OOP applicants, but aside from that, I have strong extracurriculars and am on track to graduate with great distinction.

• SS1999 changed the title to OOP Non-Maritime Essays Dalhousie Medical School
22 minutes ago, YesIcan55 said:

"on track to graduate with great distinction" - haven't even finished second semester of first-year university  ... lol, also in what world is the fact that your friend graduated from Dal a connection in any way...how is that relevant to you? take note of the fact that 600+ people apply for the 15  OOP seats lol

Hey! Thanks for replying! I finished second semester with my last exam on April 11 and received my final marks for second term. Per my meeting with Academic Advisor, I am on track to graduate with distinction, assuming I continue to keep my marks up.

As for the connection, I said I dont have any connection other than my friend who graduated from Dalhousie. As noted, I also mentioned that I shouldnt include her because the essay requires me to mention how my connection got me to apply to Dal med.

59 minutes ago, SS1999 said:

Hello all!

I'll be a second-year student at the University of Windsor come September 2019. I'm really interested in applying to Dalhousie Medical School in my fourth year. In saying so, I decided to start preparing for my personal essay and figure out what to write for the additional 250-word essay for non-maritime applicants. In the short 250 or less word essay, applicants must address their connection to the Maritime provinces. 

So, here's the thing. I don't have any connection to the Maritime province, aside from one "connection." Which is my coworker, who is my friend, she graduated from Dalhousie University. But I don't think I should include that because, for this section of the essay, we are to illustrate why this connection gravitated the applicant to Dalhousie Medical School. My question is, should I be honest and mention that I don't have any connection to the Maritime provinces that convinced me to apply to Dalhousie? And use this as a leverage point and address why I think A. Despite there not being a connection, say something along the lines of the Dal Med dynamic and unique curriculum interests me etc etc etc and B. Further elaborate on why I think, upon conferring my medical degree, Dal Med school will prepare me for the medical field and mention their research in medicine program, rural week, and unique educational approach by incorporating hands-on learning and patient interaction such as VPP. I understand that the Non-Maritime 250-worded essay is crucial for OOP applicants, but aside from that, I have strong extracurriculars and am on track to graduate with great distinction.

The fact that you have no connection will shine through no matter how you want to spin things. Adcoms are no joke. 

- G

Since you're early in your undergraduate career, would you consider applying to do a summer research internship at Dalhousie University from May to August? That way you would get to know Halifax for 4 months in the summer and get a better idea of if would be a good fit for you in the future. It would also allow you to make connections with the faculty members there and help you gain research experience. Research is a big component of the Dalhousie Med program -- every student does a research project through the Research In Medicine component of the curriculum 

The maritime connection is really important to get an interview for Dalhousie Medicine. Excellent GPA is important, but not sufficient on its own. You will have to identify and clearly articulate what you really like about the Maritimes and what has inspired you to apply to Dalhousie. 

Unfortunately no matter how well written the essay, you cannot make up for not having a real Maritime connection.  That essay is the key factor for OOP candidates assuming you have the GPA/MCAT/CASPR.   It's kinda like trying to get into NOSM while living in the GTA all your life - not going to happen.    Note there is only about 50-60 OOP interviews given.

avocado has a reasonable idea if you can swing some summer research at DAL.

2 hours ago, avocado_toast said:

Since you're early in your undergraduate career, would you consider applying to do a summer research internship at Dalhousie University from May to August? That way you would get to know Halifax for 4 months in the summer and get a better idea of if would be a good fit for you in the future. It would also allow you to make connections with the faculty members there and help you gain research experience. Research is a big component of the Dalhousie Med program -- every student does a research project through the Research In Medicine component of the curriculum 

The maritime connection is really important to get an interview for Dalhousie Medicine. Excellent GPA is important, but not sufficient on its own. You will have to identify and clearly articulate what you really like about the Maritimes and what has inspired you to apply to Dalhousie. 

Hello! Thank you for replying!! I greatly appreciated your response and will definitely look into research! Speaking of, I didn't know research was mandatory... which makes it even better! I also looked into volunteering with the Canadian Red Cross in Halifax as an Emergency Response Team Responder. Once again, thank you for your response!

10 hours ago, SS1999 said:

Hello! Thank you for replying!! I greatly appreciated your response and will definitely look into research! Speaking of, I didn't know research was mandatory... which makes it even better! I also looked into volunteering with the Canadian Red Cross in Halifax as an Emergency Response Team Responder. Once again, thank you for your response!

The point was not that research is mandatory, it was more that doing a summer project at Dal would help get you that connection that is absolutely crucial to getting even an interview at Dal as an OOP.

11 minutes ago, Chels1267 said:

The point was not that research is mandatory, it was more that doing a summer project at Dal would help get you that connection that is absolutely crucial to getting even an interview at Dal as an OOP.

No, no. I was referencing RIM. I thought RIM was optional but based from how avocado_toast worded it, I interpreted it as every student must complete a research project at Dal med in order to receive their MD.

13 minutes ago, hopefullyafuturedoc said:

Yes! I am not a Dal student but I do know that I was eligible to work in a lab at Dal last year. Professors will hire students who are not Dal students!

Ouuuu! Perfect! I'll honestly work for free lol Do you mind sharing what your responsibilities were and the department you worked for?

On 4/18/2019 at 9:33 AM, SS1999 said:

No, no. I was referencing RIM. I thought RIM was optional but based from how avocado_toast worded it, I interpreted it as every student must complete a research project at Dal med in order to receive their MD.

Yes, RIM is a mandatory part of the MD curriculum. How large and elaborate your research project is will vary from student to student. For example, if a student doesn't have research experience before medical school and felt a bit intimidated, the school would help them design a smaller project that isn't too arduous. But you can do larger projects too, if that's your interest.

If you wanted to apply for Tri-Council Agency (NSERC, CIHR, SSHRC) funding to help with costs, I'm sure potential supervisors would be even more open to taking you on as a summer student. Undergraduate students are typically eligible for a studentship following second year (Summer 2020 for you). The application process requires a little bit of planning with potential supervisors. The deadline is typically some time in January, so maybe you could reach out to potential supervisors this autumn. Here is a link with a bit of information for the Dalhousie Application this year:

https://cdn.dal.ca/content/dam/dalhousie/images/faculty/science/2019 Summer Research Awards - Guidelines.pdf

If you are interested in a basic science project, you would apply to NSERC, and if you were thinking of a project with more of a clinical focus (working with patients or patient samples) you would apply to CIHR. 

If successful, the award would help fund your studentship. It also looks really good on your CV and it's a good practice for applying to funding/grants.

31 minutes ago, avocado_toast said:

Yes, RIM is a mandatory part of the MD curriculum. How large and elaborate your research project is will vary from student to student. For example, if a student doesn't have research experience before medical school and felt a bit intimidated, the school would help them design a smaller project that isn't too arduous. But you can do larger projects too, if that's your interest.

If you wanted to apply for Tri-Council Agency (NSERC, CIHR, SSHRC) funding to help with costs, I'm sure potential supervisors would be even more open to taking you on as a summer student. Undergraduate students are typically eligible for a studentship following second year (Summer 2020 for you). The application process requires a little bit of planning with potential supervisors. The deadline is typically some time in January, so maybe you could reach out to potential supervisors this autumn. Here is a link with a bit of information for the Dalhousie Application this year:

https://cdn.dal.ca/content/dam/dalhousie/images/faculty/science/2019 Summer Research Awards - Guidelines.pdf

If you are interested in a basic science project, you would apply to NSERC, and if you were thinking of a project with more of a clinical focus (working with patients or patient samples) you would apply to CIHR. 

If successful, the award would help fund your studentship. It also looks really good on your CV and it's a good practice for applying to funding/grants.

Thank you so much for helping me out and taking the type to respond! I really appreciate it :)

• 2 months later...

You do not need to have a concrete connection to be successful, contrary to what some think!  There are people in my class who have never been here before coming for school :) 

Maritime connection isn't limited to literally having been here; there are many good reasons you may want to study and potentially even practice here.  I encourage you to think hard about why you would like to study here.  What about the curriculum or learning/ working environment stands out from other places in Canada?  Is it the focus on primary care? Community atmosphere? Rural opportunities? Be HONEST.  There are lots of BSers that will rave about the time they came to Nova Scotia when they were 5 years old and loved Peggy's Cove and lobster fishing so much they vowed to come back some day ;) 

Research Dal, the Maritimes, and brainstorm honest reasons you feel it would be a good fit for you, or you for it.  Again, be honest.  

• 1 year later...