Premed 101 Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KeyzerSoze

Severe Setback this year... need some advice

Due to an abrupt and unforseen tragic circumstance in my family I completely neglected my schoolwork for about 1-2 weeks. I had to take a flight to another country. The day that I set foot back in the country, I had to rush back to school for a midterm that night. No exaggeration, the exact same night. Needless to say I bombed it. 40%. On a midterm for a full year course. Based on that one exam, I'm looking at a GPA for the year (third year) of either a 3.7 or 3.78. Decreasing my cGPA from a high 3.9 to anywhere from a high 3.8 to a low 3.9.

This is my third year too. It'll be used for Ottawa and Queens. Mac looks at cGPA. On top of that, it's a downward trend. What do I do from here? I'm strongly leaning towards taking a fifth year.

30 minutes ago, dna said:

can you drop the course, even if it states 'late withdrawal' on your transcript? or even this option is too late now? 

lmao I've already done the final. And besides, a 70-something is better than a late withdrawal, since I'm pretty sure the latter is interpreted as a 'fail'.

2 hours ago, KeyzerSoze said:

lmao I've already done the final. And besides, a 70-something is better than a late withdrawal, since I'm pretty sure the latter is interpreted as a 'fail'.

no, it isn't...

2 hours ago, KeyzerSoze said:

Yes it is. At least at my school dropping a course after the deadline shows up as an F on the transcript

Not for OMSAS. It just shows up as a withdrawal. What your school does for GPA =/= what med schools do. I would highly recommend you speak to a program advisor and petition to have the course/grade removed from your transcript on the grounds of the circumstances when you wrote the midterm assuming it is too late to drop it. The chances aren't great but it's worth a shot.

15 minutes ago, wishcalculator said:

Not for OMSAS. It just shows up as a withdrawal. What your school does for GPA =/= what med schools do. I would highly recommend you speak to a program advisor and petition to have the course/grade removed from your transcript on the grounds of the circumstances when you wrote the midterm assuming it is too late to drop it. The chances aren't great but it's worth a shot.

oh man. I wish I knew that lol.

2 hours ago, wishcalculator said:

I think I'm gonna start another thread for this... you've peaked my curiosity