Premed 101 Forums

Hi guys,

I just have one question regarding the profession. Does it matter where you graduated PT from (Of course, as long as it's an institution in Canada)? In other terms, do employers attribute an importance to the institution from which you graduated. I just got accepted in PT at University of Quebec in Chicoutimi. It's a relatively new program that just started in 2011 I believe and it's offered by extension from McGill University. 

Thanks

Long answer short: Not really. If you are to be a licensed physiotherapist in Canada, it doesn't matter where you get your education everyone ends up writing the exact same nation-wide certification exams. 

Having said that though, most physiotherapy students eventually end up getting a job at one of their placements throughout their program. More 'established' institutions have a wider and more expansive network of clinics/hospitals which means you would have greater exposure and potential with them. 

Once you have graduated though, it's all fair game. You're as much as a physiotherapist as any other :)

Thank you for your response! I find it reassuring that it's all fair game once graduated.

I'm not sure that going to a less "established" institution means that we won't get the network of clinics and hospitals because it's an extension program from McGill. Therefore, the diploma is an official diploma from McGill. I'm not sure about this but doesn't it means that we also benefit from McGill's massive network?

14 hours ago, skyboy said:

Thank you for your response! I find it reassuring that it's all fair game once graduated.

I'm not sure that going to a less "established" institution means that we won't get the network of clinics and hospitals because it's an extension program from McGill. Therefore, the diploma is an official diploma from McGill. I'm not sure about this but doesn't it means that we also benefit from McGill's massive network?

Is it an accredited program?

"This graduate program at McGill University is offered as an extension of a memorandum of understanding between the Royal Institution for the Advancement of Science / McGill University and UQAC. As a result, the official diploma will be issued by McGill University. In addition, access to McGill University will access the student at the virtual library of this university." 

"The Master of Applied Science in Physiotherapy program at the Université du Québec à Chicoutimi is complemented by an agent evaluation process administered by Physiotherapy Accreditation in Canada (PEAC). PEAC is an organization incorporated under the Canada Not-for-Profit Corporations Act which acts as an accreditation body for physiotherapy education programs in Canada. Full Approval status was granted on October 15, 2018 until October 31, 2022."

It's a translation of what I found in their website.

5 hours ago, skyboy said:

"This graduate program at McGill University is offered as an extension of a memorandum of understanding between the Royal Institution for the Advancement of Science / McGill University and UQAC. As a result, the official diploma will be issued by McGill University. In addition, access to McGill University will access the student at the virtual library of this university." 

"The Master of Applied Science in Physiotherapy program at the Université du Québec à Chicoutimi is complemented by an agent evaluation process administered by Physiotherapy Accreditation in Canada (PEAC). PEAC is an organization incorporated under the Canada Not-for-Profit Corporations Act which acts as an accreditation body for physiotherapy education programs in Canada. Full Approval status was granted on October 15, 2018 until October 31, 2022."

It's a translation of what I found in their website.

Sounds good. As long as the program is accredited and you can do the national to become a registered PT, institution shouldn’t really matter.