Premed 101 Forums

What is your application status in the current cycle?

What is your application status in the current cycle?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. What is your application status in the current cycle?

• Accepted
    • Rejected
    • NS Waitlisted
    • NB Waitlisted
    • PEI Waitlisted
    • OOP Waitlisted
    • No status, just interested!

2 hours ago, chemicologist said:

I saw a thread like this from a few years ago and thought it might be a good way to pass the time!

To add fuel to the speculation fire, I just checked dalonline and saw that there are currently 43/120 students enrolled in the Class of 2023!

So if you’re “enrolled” then that seat is taken for certain? 

EDIT: Nevermind, people can drop out once May rolls around. Not sure if those numbers tell you much. 

My sense is that since accepted applicants had until April 5th to hold their spot with a paid deposit, presumably close to 120 people have done that by now. The 43 number I provided comes from the number of people enrolled in first year classes for this September (as of this morning on dalonline).

To me, that would seem to imply that 43 people are absolutely committed to attending Dal this fall, and the remaining 77 may be holding out for another school. Of course, this may be reading way too far into it as there could easily be many of those 77 who are in fact committed to attending who simply haven't registered for their classes yet.

Sorry for the over-analysis.

1 hour ago, chemicologist said:

My sense is that since accepted applicants had until April 5th to hold their spot with a paid deposit, presumably close to 120 people have done that by now. The 43 number I provided comes from the number of people enrolled in first year classes for this September (as of this morning on dalonline).

To me, that would seem to imply that 43 people are absolutely committed to attending Dal this fall, and the remaining 77 may be holding out for another school. Of course, this may be reading way too far into it as there could easily be many of those 77 who are in fact committed to attending who simply haven't registered for their classes yet.

Sorry for the over-analysis.

How would they know that some people are waiting for other schools though if everyone paid their deposit?

Also - can you explain how DalOnline works and where i can see this info. I have no idea what's going on with Dal's system 

40 minutes ago, isitlunchtimeyet said:

How would they know that some people are waiting for other schools though if everyone paid their deposit?

Also - can you explain how DalOnline works and where i can see this info. I have no idea what's going on with Dal's system 

Most, if not all of those who get an offer will pay their deposit even if they are waiting on other schools. The reason is that no one can be 100% they're going to be accepted elsewhere so they save their spot wherever they have received an offer thus far (in this case DalMed). You'll probably see more WL movement in May when the Ontario schools release their offers. 

This is where you'd see what courses are offered and how many people are registered for them: https://dalonline.dal.ca/PROD/fysktime.P_DisplaySchedule?s_term=202000&s_subj=MEDI&s_district=All

• 2 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, chemicologist said:

Here's a small (non)update: there are now 55 people enrolled in classes. 

That's 12 more than my initial post 14 days ago. I've been trying to gauge the pace of registration leading up to May 15th/25th haha

May 15th is the Ontario schools, whats on the 25th? 

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry knoxjax99! May 25th wasn't any special date for this year, it's just a day that I've seen lots of Dal waitlist movement on historically based on when Ontario/Western schools release their decision letters. Since they went out on the 14th this year, those who received offers have until the 28th to accept or decline the offer. After accepting a second offer (including ones from Dal), applicant have 48 hours to decline one of their seats, according to Dal's acceptance letter.

Also, as another update on class enrolment, there are currently 67 people enrolled in 1st year classes, 12 more than my previous update 14 days ago. Glean whatever you will from that.

You "enroll" in the program after you've been accepted.  It basically just means you sign up for the classes on DalOnline.  There's a list of things you need to do once accepted (vaccinations, enrolling, criminal record check, paying deposit) and this is just one of those steps.  Since it's not due until I think you start, it makes sense that a lot of people haven't done that yet.  It's more a measure of who is being keen, not the amount of offers sent! 

You can also drop the offer after enrolling if you get another acceptance.  So basically, this number tells you nothing unfortunately.

2 hours ago, MedHopeful93 said:

It's more a measure of who is being keen, not the amount of offers sent! 

You can also drop the offer after enrolling if you get another acceptance.  So basically, this number tells you nothing unfortunately.

I agree it is more a measure of who is keen more than anything else. However, the checklist states clearly that you should not register for classes unless you are very sure that you are going to stick with this offer.

While plenty of people will hold the spot with the $500, I doubt that anyone would go to the trouble of registering for courses unless they are completely sure. 

So that number is probably a measure of how many people are both keen and conscientious about completing their checklists and sure they want to accept Dal :)