Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums
Sign in to follow this  
inordinate

Anyone else think it will be this week (or need it to be this week)?

Recommended Posts

I'm in the tough position (probably lots of others are too) that I have to let these people know  by early next week if I accept this summer job or not that starts first week of May. But I can only accept it if i) I get rejected from Calgary (who starts in the summer), or ii) I for sure get into the U of A (which is my top preference). If the offers don't come out next week, then I'll have no choice but to decline the summer job. And then I find out if I get rejected from both schools after early next week, I literally will have nothing lined up for this summer because I will have had to decline the summer job. Don't keep me wrong, I am grateful to have interviewed. Last year U of A sent their invites on April 23 and Calgary on April 20. But every year before last year, it was early May. Anyone else in the same boat here :/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been in your position before.

Accept your summer job offer.

You can always rescind your job offer when you get accepted to medical school.

I know this may potentially burn a bridge, but you have to look out for your own self-interest. 

The last thing you want is to be empty handed.

If your job has nothing to do with research or medicine, I wouldn’t sweat it.  Also, if it’s a big corporation, worry even less. From my experience, for profit companies only ever cared about how much money I made for them, so I have even less remorse for rescinding their offer.

On the other hand, if it’s a job from a relative or friend, perhaps you can tell them your situation. Maybe they will understand and offer you an alternative.

If you hate the thought of rescinding a job offer, remember this: All jobs have a probational period where they can fire you at any moment if they are not satisfied with your performance. So if a company can fire you any time, who says you are not allowed to leave any time?

At the end of the day, they’ll understand. It’s just business.

Finally, if you do choose to rescind the offer, it means you got into med school. You pretty much wouldn’t need to worry about getting a summer job ever again. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really appreciate your response - thank you. I like what you said about the probationary period, because that is very true. The issue is that this is a job funded through govt of canada summer studentship - they pay the salary, not the organization. And this position only has 1 person, for the full 4 months of summer. It would really screw them over if I dipped out in June, (if, for example, I got rejected from U of A and accepted of waitlist in Calgary who starts in July), and it's even more complicated cause they are not the ones administering the salary. It also would mean I have taken away a position from someone else who was for sure available for 100% of the summer.  It would be different if this was like a part-time restaurant job that already has a crazy amount of turnover. I also have known the people who offered me the job over the last few years (professionally, through volunteering), so that complicates it even further. I just don't know if I have the heart to screw them over if it does come down to it (of course, I would accept the offer to med school), in which case perhaps I should decline it up front. I was thinking I maybe  could email U of A and U of C and ask if there is any chance they will send the offers out this coming week, but they might not divulge anything. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not too much help here since I haven't worked one of those summer research jobs before. I'm not sure what your situation is like, but if you have known these people for a while, some of them might know you had applied to medical school and would hopefully be at least a little understanding if you had to leave the job? 

If medical school gave you enough notice, would you be able to train someone else to take over the project for the remaining parts of the summer? Payment would probably be tricky for the reasons you mentioned, but if you could train someone up to speed at least they aren't completely screwed over. I also wouldn't assume that all the other job candidates would have had full availability, everyone has there own situation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, inordinate said:

I really appreciate your response - thank you. I like what you said about the probationary period, because that is very true. The issue is that this is a job funded through govt of canada summer studentship - they pay the salary, not the organization. And this position only has 1 person, for the full 4 months of summer. It would really screw them over if I dipped out in June, (if, for example, I got rejected from U of A and accepted of waitlist in Calgary who starts in July), and it's even more complicated cause they are not the ones administering the salary. It also would mean I have taken away a position from someone else who was for sure available for 100% of the summer.  It would be different if this was like a part-time restaurant job that already has a crazy amount of turnover. I also have known the people who offered me the job over the last few years (professionally, through volunteering), so that complicates it even further. I just don't know if I have the heart to screw them over if it does come down to it (of course, I would accept the offer to med school), in which case perhaps I should decline it up front. I was thinking I maybe  could email U of A and U of C and ask if there is any chance they will send the offers out this coming week, but they might not divulge anything. 

Okay dipping out in June would be the worst situation. But you’ve pretty much indicated the worse scenario.

its more likely that you’d be notified in the next week or two. Which means you’d only be on the job for a week max. I’m sure they interviewed more than one person. They will just  offer the job to the next person in line. Delaying training by one week is a small setback, but non issue in the greater scheme of things.  I’ve also worked government jobs before, trust me, there are so many candidates who apply and are waiting to get your spot. And the first 2-3 weeks of any government job is training anyway. 

As an ex hiring manager, we always maintained a list of potential candidates even after we send out offers because we encounter situations like this all the time. There are no hard feelings. As I said, it’s the nature of business.

Since you know the person for a few years, just be straight up and tell them your situation. Most of the time, people are very understanding. They may offer you an option to avoid all the crap in my first paragraph. Aka they may delay a start date, or they may ask you to reject the offer, they may hire someone for June and ask you to train them or they may be okay to accept you even if you may leave.

Just remember, causing an inconvenience is not the same as screwing someone over. All employees, public or private, no matter how great you are, are replaceable. 

I highly recommend you to have a chat with your employer since you care about the relationship and you know them.

Best of luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm in the exact same situation.  If you really are worried, I would tell the employer that you might have to dip out, but you don't know if that is certainty. 

Unfortunately all the official timelines state that offers will be in early May, so I highly doubt you will find out this week (as much as I'm anxious to know as well).  I also got a summer job lined up to start May 2nd, so I just told them that I applied to med school and might have to break my contract.  

The way I look at it, things are going to shake down one of three ways:

1) You get rejected.  Looking at the numbers alone, this is your (everyone's) mostly likely option and you'll need that job then.

2) You get into Ualberta.  They don't start until late August, so you'll only cut maybe a week or two off you internship and you're not hurting feelings/taking someone else's spot.  Take the job.

3) You get into Calgary.  They start in early July, this is where you have an issue.  You might want to not take the job then.

I personally made the decision that options 1 and 2 outweigh the chances of option 3 happening.  You also stated that you would choose Ualberta over Calgary anyway, so you reduce the chance of option 3 happening even more.  

If you do have to leave the internship in June, it might make you feel like a bum, but I don't think you need to lose sleep over this.  Most places will understand the importance/excitement of actually getting into med school.   Being paid by scholarship might require you to pay it back if you dip out early, so be aware of that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@inordinate I spoke with UofC Admissions this morning and they said decisions will probably be sent out first week of May. UofA said that it'll be early to mid May. Of course, they could (and hopefully will) come out before then, but just so you know! 

On a side note,  can someone help me out with my predicament lol? I'll be out of the country all of May with limited access to my cellphone. I'll be checking my email periodically, but I'm concerned with how I can accept the offer (if I get one). I heard UofA needs you to send in your acceptance through mail with a police background check, etc. Is there truth to that? I find it off that it's not done electronically. If anyone can shed some light on what goes into accepting an offer and what documents are needed, I would really appreciate it! I also applied to Uofc. 

Thanks guys and good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ymed_Ymadness said:

@inordinate I spoke with UofC Admissions this morning and they said decisions will probably be sent out first week of May. UofA said that it'll be early to mid May. Of course, they could (and hopefully will) come out before then, but just so you know! 

On a side note,  can someone help me out with my predicament lol? I'll be out of the country all of May with limited access to my cellphone. I'll be checking my email periodically, but I'm concerned with how I can accept the offer (if I get one). I heard UofA needs you to send in your acceptance through mail with a police background check, etc. Is there truth to that? I find it off that it's not done electronically. If anyone can shed some light on what goes into accepting an offer and what documents are needed, I would really appreciate it! I also applied to Uofc. 

Thanks guys and good luck!

Did you talk to U of a admissions, or is early to late May based on their timeline on the website?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regardless of what happens I wish you all best of luck and that even if you're unsuccessful that it is not a defining aspect of yourself. I did not get in right away and it gave me an opportunity to better myself personally and professionally (especially in the field of public health and making positive societal change with clinical medicine). As I'm finishing medical school now I do feel that I can be a better physician now compared to if I had gotten in earlier. 

Best wishes, 

- G 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, paradissonance said:

Can confirm that admissions still has a finalizing meeting on May 6th so you will likely not be hearing back until after then.  

Thank you for confirming :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, tehol123 said:

Was just thinking about this lol. Not that likely IMO but it's definitely going to be tough to focus this week.

"we are in the end game now" and its brutal lol, totally agree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/6/2019 at 7:48 PM, inordinate said:

they said "by May 15" at the interviews :(                          

With Calgary out today, I think a sooner ish release from UofA could be plausible 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×