Premed 101 Forums

8 hours ago, KeyzerSoze said:

So there were pretty bad family issues going on around February which caused me to bomb one midterm. I wasn't able to get accommodation for this. I interviewed this year.

First question: What do they mean by "maintaining your average"? So if I'm in my third year this year, does that mean my overall gpa of all 3 years has to be above 3.85? Or does it mean my third year alone has to be above 3.85?

The former would be around 3.83. The latter around 3.7. If I were to get an acceptance, do you think there's any chance I could make a case to keep it? Their website says acceptances MAY be revoked, not WILL be revoked...

Someone I know asked this exact question last year. They calculate your wGPA. So your wGPA has to be above 3.85. Third year x3, second year x2, 1st year x1. I think they say "may revoke" because there is no certainty- you can certainly make a case if you will be below that, but there is no guarantee :( 

12 hours ago, KeyzerSoze said:

So there were pretty bad family issues going on around February which caused me to bomb one midterm. I wasn't able to get accommodation for this. I interviewed this year.

First question: What do they mean by "maintaining your average"? So if I'm in my third year this year, does that mean my overall gpa of all 3 years has to be above 3.85? Or does it mean my third year alone has to be above 3.85?

The former would be around 3.83. The latter around 3.7. If I were to get an acceptance, do you think there's any chance I could make a case to keep it? Their website says acceptances MAY be revoked, not WILL be revoked...

First of all, apologies for you family issues. I am genuinely sorry to read about that. I hope it is better by now ? 

Here is what I think (personal opinion). First of all, wait for the answers. After that, your situation is unique to you. We are all human beings and unfortunately so many events happen in someone's life. If you made it that far to the interview and you're getting a positive answer on May 14th, it means they want you. After that, you can sit/have a talk with them to explain your situation. If I were on the committee and a situation like yours would happen, I would take it into account. Yes they want high-achiever students, but I truly believe they are looking for humans seeking to help other humans. 

I am always very optimistic as solutions always exist. 

For now, let's hope for the best for your family and focus on getting good marks as you've gotten in the past years. 

Best of luck and keep us updated :)