Premed 101 Forums

20 hours ago, abouttimeijoined said:

Okay folks, I spent the last couple hours wallowing in pity and essentially feeling like my world had come to an end after getting an exam mark back, so thought id seek some other opinions from on here. Due to personal reasons, I screwed up on the second midterm which terribly affected my overall grade. I explained the situation to the prof, but she said she could not do anything because I should have mentioned something about it before the test and asked for a deferral, and suggested I wait till I get my test mark back to talk to her. anyway never really followed up because I didn't want it to make it seem like I was begging for marks, and realize it was dumb on my part to sit for an exam I wasn't ready for (because I received some terrible news a day before my exam) especially in the state of mind I was at the time. So I accepted my fate of getting a B+ on the class if I worked really hard on the final, unfortunately, I suck at essays and was only able to pull an 85% on the final :'( which brought my overall mark to a 74.25 (i screwed up really bad on that second midterm). I'm considering emailing her to round up to a 74.5 which would round up to a 75 and give me a chance of B+ and having a 3.72 (rather than a 3.69 GPA). but I'm not sure how this would come across, so I'm wondering if anyone has come across a similar situation. I am already set to have a 4.0 in my other 3 courses and 3.9/4.0 on the 4th so I'm not in a situation where a better mark in other classes would bring me up because the gap between a B and a B+ is huge. This is my "4th year" and I'm already planning on a 5th so this grade is crucial to me not having to take a 6th.

My main concern is I'm trying to avoid mentioning the omsas conversion if I do email the prof but at the same time I don't know how else to let her know how much of a weight that 0.25 carries, because I fear that mentioning to her about the omsas conversion would make her feel I had an ulterior motive (previously) asking for extra credit assignment (although i didnt get any extra credit) to make of for part of my second midterm after explaining to her the reason (personal and can't really post on here) i did so poorly on the second midterm.

Don't worry so much about this. Life happens. I don't think most people would consider this an ulterior motive - professors are well aware about the competitiveness of professional schools and understand why students stress so much about grades. While education shouldn't all be about grades, unfortunately the way the system is set up often good grades become a means to an end.  Be honest with your professor, be kind in how you approach it, and be respectful if you get declined. It's worth a shot. Lot's of students ask for this - why shouldn't you? :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/25/2019 at 12:08 AM, shakeshake said:

Don't worry so much about this. Life happens. I don't think most people would consider this an ulterior motive - professors are well aware about the competitiveness of professional schools and understand why students stress so much about grades. While education shouldn't all be about grades, unfortunately the way the system is set up often good grades become a means to an end.  Be honest with your professor, be kind in how you approach it, and be respectful if you get declined. It's worth a shot. Lot's of students ask for this - why shouldn't you? :)

Nice Information about the grade