Premed 101 Forums

D-DAY 2019 — Discussion Thread

28 minutes ago, this_process_is_death said:

I only know this because I was with friends who got in last year. They got their email roughly an hour after I got my rejection

Ugh that must have been tough.. :( I'm planning to go off by myself and open the email like an animal retreating into the woods to die alone. 

Also - I hope we all get in, but you especially. Your tenacity is truly inspiring in this death-like process. ;)

8 minutes ago, ohimark said:

Ugh that must have been tough.. :( I'm planning to go off by myself and open the email like an animal retreating into the woods to die alone. 

Also - I hope we all get in, but you especially. Your tenacity is truly inspiring in this death-like process. ;)

Thanks friend! You made lol a couple of time there

I know right...?  It would be TERRIBLE if the email waves started in the late afternoon.

We're all waiting in the morning around 10:00 AM and then nothing... but no one's received anything either.  Everyone just counting the seconds, thinking something may come any second.  It's 10:30, no one's gotten anything.  Now, it's 11:00, 11:15, 11:30, yet nothing and no one's gotten anything... the pressure just builds and builds and builds :(.  And then you get this email notification sound ringing in your ears like

3vIwKf.gif

(if you know what I mean).  You crawl to your phone, say a few prayers and look at the notification lock screen, only to find out you've received an email from your brother with the subject line "It's just a prank bro!"

* The latter is a true story.  :lol:

For those that have been through this process before ... Any suggestions on how to approach Friday? Both from a practical standpoint (are you checking email constantly?) and from a mental standpoint (how will you deal with a “no”). God help those who are waitlisted and have this process extended further! 

I have always wondered how people go through this multiple times - and now that I have nearly made it to the end... I really don’t know how!

Maybe it’s because I am an older applicant and have had to deal with a cancer diagnosis in my family since I applied in September, but I really don’t know that I could go through this process all over again. Maybe it gets easier each year, but I doubt it. At the same time, I can’t see myself doing anything else but medicine and I imagine that might be what keeps people applying despite how gruelling the process is.

I know people say things like “it’s preparing you for the real world” etc ... but let me say that I have a whole career behind me in management and I have never had a job interview come anywhere near this in terms of anxiety and emotion! I think it’s perfectly normal to be feeling like your stomach is in your throat at this point. 

41 minutes ago, ATG4B said:

For those that have been through this process before ... Any suggestions on how to approach Friday? Both from a practical standpoint (are you checking email constantly?) and from a mental standpoint (how will you deal with a “no”). God help those who are waitlisted and have this process extended further! 

I have always wondered how people go through this multiple times - and now that I have nearly made it to the end... I really don’t know how!

Maybe it’s because I am an older applicant and have had to deal with a cancer diagnosis in my family since I applied in September, but I really don’t know that I could go through this process all over again. Maybe it gets easier each year, but I doubt it. At the same time, I can’t see myself doing anything else but medicine and I imagine that might be what keeps people applying despite how gruelling the process is.

I know people say things like “it’s preparing you for the real world” etc ... but let me say that I have a whole career behind me in management and I have never had a job interview come anywhere near this in terms of anxiety and emotion! I think it’s perfectly normal to be feeling like your stomach is in your throat at this point. 

I got rejected post-interview last year and dealing with a "no" is as hard as you think. And yes, I did think I could never go through the whole process again... ask all of my verifyers again (for the 4th time)... But then after 2-3 weeks, I felt ready to get back on the horse so to speak, and felt the mojo to do it all again. D-day is always exciting and andrenaline fuelled, but know that at the end of the day, you'll be dealing with something huge, be it a rejection or an acceptance (or a waitlist). My way to approach Friday is similar to ohimark- retreat somewhere at the end of the day (if I have the willpower, haha), and open my email. What I have learned from last year: bad idea to open this email at work (hence my waiting until the end of the day).

56 minutes ago, VancityDoc said:

Hey guys,

Can anyone share what the email looks like for rejection, waitlist and rejection?

Maybe a screenshot of the email. :lol: starting to go coocoo in here.

There is no smoke and mirrors for the email headline. The email you want is "UBC Undergraduate Admissions:Offer of Admission - [Campus Name]" 

13 hours ago, ATG4B said:

I was rejected post-interview last year :( It definitely really sucked. On d-day I got my partner to check for me pretty much every 5 minutes since I was a nervous wreck haha and around 1030 am he saw I was rejected and had the saddest look on his face. It was hard to grasp that it was over... felt like I was so hopeful and then suddenly it was just gone. I honestly lost the motivation to function for the weeks after.

I eventually moved forward and got motivated to apply again with the help of family and friends . It also helped having to write and defend my thesis at that time... kept me occupied and less focused on being rejected .  I'm 10x more afraid this time around... not sure how I'll process a second round of rejection if it happens. Feels like a whole bundle of sadness haha so I'm trying not to think about it too much and trust that I got through it the first time so I'll just have to push through the second. 

I hope the best for you ! Stay strong :)

14 hours ago, Muffincups said:

Someone somewhere talked about sleeping in that day - but haha, I personally haven’t been able to sleep in til noon for many years so perhaps not a good strategy. :lol:

Probably me. I usually wake up at 5-6, so sleeping in until noon is very unlikely, but I'm sure with a bit of alcohol, maybe binge watching netflix the night before, and get myself sleep deprived the night before would get me to sleep past the terrible hours during the day. I have a bunch of paramedical appointments booked in the early afternoon to keep me distracted if it goes past noon. 

18 hours ago, ATG4B said:

Honestly, it's impossible to avoid the nerves and anxiety surrounding this Friday. I would suggest really focusing on doing things that keep you mentally and physically healthy - whether that'd be exercise, reading, counselling, meditation, sports - whatever works best for you. 

In regards to being an older applicant and dealing with a difficult situation this year, you can definitely do this again if you are unlucky (which you won't be)! I went through similar feelings last year getting rejected for the second year in a row after having a unexpected family trauma. It stings and feels unfair for weeks or even months but it really does change your perspective on things. Medicine is a job, it's not your life. If anything, you sound like a well-rounded, mature individual and UBC loves that so best of luck and I hope you get in this year. 

19 hours ago, ATG4B said:

The whole process sure is stressful, especially finding out about the final decision since so much time and emotion have been invested in getting there in the first place.  To feel anxious and nervous is completely understandable and normal, and I agree with the above that it's unavoidable.  However, things like mindfulness exercises can relieve some of the excessive anxiety.  In other words, it's up to us how much control we have over that stress-level turning knob.

When I was rejected after my first interview several years ago, I was devastated.  I felt my whole year of preparation flash before my eyes, knowing that I'd have to do it all over again.  But eventually, my optimism and passion broke through the layers of disappointment and drove me to continue the grind and go at it again with a stronger attempt.  A whole bunch of crap (piles and piles and piles of it) happened after that :') lol, but I never gave up even though I came very close to it.  I guess that's the thing about passion that you've commented on as well:  rejection strongly affects those who are very determined to pursue medicine, but their passion provides the strength to try again.

Reminding myself why I love medicine and recalling the challenges I've overcame are some things I will be doing before D-Day to cope with the decision, no matter what it turns out to be.

12 minutes ago, ATG4B said:

Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement and sharing your personal experiences! I found out about an hour ago that I got an offer from Calgary, so I will be breathing a little better these next few days, but it’s still nerve wracking! 

Congrats! That's a great program as well!

24 minutes ago, ATG4B said:

Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement and sharing your personal experiences! I found out about an hour ago that I got an offer from Calgary, so I will be breathing a little better these next few days, but it’s still nerve wracking! 

Woohoo!!!!  HUGE congrats!!  :D

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, ATG4B said:

Congratulations!!! Ahhh! That's fantastic! :D:D If UBC offers, where do you think you'll go? (3 vs. 4 year???)

3 hours ago, ohimark said:

Congratulations!!! Ahhh! That's fantastic! :D:D If UBC offers, where do you think you'll go? (3 vs. 4 year???)

I should be so lucky to get to choose! But alas, my family is here so I am partial to UBC ;) The thought of 3yrs and less tuition is very appealing though! Honestly, just happy to know I will get to be a doctor somewhere.