Premed 101 Forums

D-DAY 2019 — Discussion Thread

Well well well, May 10th has officially been declared as this year’s UBC Med D-Day!

I thought to start our discussion thread so the nerves and doubts and excitement can officially be discussed as we inch closer to the beginning of the end (for the cycle!) and possibly the beginning of a new beginning.

Here’s our official live countdown:

https://www.arewethere.yt/OFFICIAL-D-DAY-2019/100157.htm

12 minutes ago, ricekrispies said:

anyone feel like time has been flying by but its also been extremely slow at the same time :O

Same!  I can’t believe we’re ~2 weeks away :o.  May 9th will be ridiculously stressful — I don’t think I’ll be able to sleep that night no matter how much I roll around in bed :lol:

3 hours ago, Neurophiliac said:

Well well well, May 10th has officially been declared as this year’s UBC Med D-Day!

I thought to start our discussion thread so the nerves and doubts and excitement can officially be discussed as we inch closer to the beginning of the end (for the cycle!) and possibly the beginning of a new beginning.

Here’s our official live countdown:

https://www.arewethere.yt/OFFICIAL-D-DAY-2019/100157.htm

Why are you the way you are?

8 hours ago, NothingButNetters said:

Does anyone else have a failed course on their transcript? I don’t know if some schools replace a supplemental/retaken course as the only grade... maybe someone else is in the same boat? (Or have a D in a course?) 

I have a withdrawal failure (which they consider an F) but they don’t replace it if you retake the course and get a better grade. I know this as I retook another course for a higher grade but they still put the lower grade in the calculations.  Thankfully I’ve taken so many courses and have good grades that I guess my gpa isn’t hugely impacted by a few blights! 

Curious if anyone has a D-day "plan" for receiving results? I'm partial to turning off notifications so that finding out is on my terms, though there's something fun to me about having your stomach drop with every phantom vibration throughout the day & staving off the subsequent diarrhea. Do you do it alone? Gather your friends and family like Clark Griswold? 

30 minutes ago, ohimark said:

Curious if anyone has a D-day "plan" for receiving results? I'm partial to turning off notifications so that finding out is on my terms, though there's something fun to me about having your stomach drop with every phantom vibration throughout the day & staving off the subsequent diarrhea. Do you do it alone? Gather your friends and family like Clark Griswold? 

As per previous years, I am going to find a way to ensure that I sleep through to noon or later. Last year I found out I was waitlisted when I woke up so I just went back to sleep. But this year in the event I don’t get an email by the early afternoon which i am hoping for, it’s spin class, then message therapy appointment then something else to distract me because I literally can’t have my phone around me. Already booked the day off work, I won’t be productive anyways. Lol

2 hours ago, ohimark said:

I’ve thought about this a lot and I think my anxiety will be significantly higher if I keep my phone off or do something to be away from my phone :wacko:.

I think I will keep my phone on and have my ears be 1000x more sensitive to that email notification sound :lol:.  But I usually get a bunch of emails throughout the day, so lots of heartbeats will be skipped that day lol.

Oh boy, it’s going to be one wild day...

11 hours ago, ohimark said:

I will be travelling in a different time zone, so I will find out in the morning as I will be sleeping when the results roll in! Who knows what I will wake up to and hopefully there is cell service! 

6 hours ago, NothingButNetters said:

Imagine this was the good old days and you had to wait for a letter in the mail telling you that you were accepted... would be checking your literal mailbox everyday.  

That would be so good though!  With email, it’s toooooo sudden.  Boom you get a notification in like a second that’ll change your whole year.  With an actual mail though, the news is less sudden :lol:

On 4/25/2019 at 4:19 PM, NothingButNetters said:

Imagine this was the good old days and you had to wait for a letter in the mail telling you that you were accepted... would be checking your literal mailbox everyday.  

YES! I totally think this would be a great way to find out.. running to the mailbox everyday those couple weeks, judging the thickness of the envelope for an inclination, ripping open the letter and of course the tear stains (good or bad?!). 

2 hours ago, ohimark said:

YES! I totally think this would be a great way to find out.. running to the mailbox everyday those couple weeks, judging the thickness of the envelope for an inclination, ripping open the letter and of course the tear stains (good or bad?!). 

I completely agree! I would be happy even if the email just told you to go check the website. Guess this is a lesson in relinquishing control. :D

It's crazy to me how the time has proceeded both painfully slow and blisteringly fast. We were just talking about 2 months to go! 

It's becoming all I can think about most of the day and I'm beginning to have vivid dreams about the 10th. Alas, soldier on my friends! Hopefully soon we'll have all sorts of new things to worry about, leaving this premed world behind. ;) 

giphy.gif