Premed 101 Forums

St George's university for canadian

Hello,

I am making this topic to know if there is a student who went to St George's university to study in medical school. I am Canadian from Quebec.

I have some questions

• After graduation, is it possible to come to Canada and practice as MD or I have to pass through US before ?
  • how long it takes to praticipe as MD in Canada?
  • Is it a good decision to go to St goerge's university or going to US university is better?

Thank you

10 minutes ago, Medoneday31 said:

• After graduation, is it possible to come to Canada and practice as MD or I have to pass through US before ?
  • Possible but you're essentially limiting yourself to only being able to practice family medicine, psychiatry, pathology and maybe pediatrics or internal medicine in an undesirable location
  • how long it takes to praticipe as MD in Canada?
  • Most people who go abroad for medical school, especially the Caribbean, have to apply 3-4 years before getting a residency position (and those are the lucky ones. Many just never get a residency position and are stuck with $$$ debt and a degree they can't use, working a job they could have gotten without going to medical school abroad and going into debt)
  • Is it a good decision to go to St goerge's university or going to US university is better?
  • The US is infinitely better than going to St. George's. As a US MD student, you are considered an equal when applying for Canadian residency programs and will not have the same limitations as going to a non-Canadian/US medical school.

• 2 weeks later...

As mentioned above, US schools would be better. Look at reports from CaRMs and see that it is already difficult for US and Canadian grads to get residency matches in Canada. St George's cost a lot of money, and if you want to come back, you'd have to absolutely kill it and finish top of class, meaning your 4 years studying in paradise will be way more gruelling than they advertise.

• 2 weeks later...

The US is significantly more expensive, but IMO it's more worth it. If you go to St. Georges, you will be at a disadvantage in terms of residency. You will likely only get into Family Med and/or Psychiatry, if at all. Personally, I know people who got into IM and PMR, but those people are practically geniuses that did mediocre during their UG because of personal issues. 

Getting into US med schools might actually be easier than you think. Because both are marked using different things, your grades might be inflated depending on the school you went to.

Remember that if you decide to go there (or even the US), you have to write the USMLE Step 1 and 2 for residency. Those exams are killer and in the Caribbean, many fail them.

11 minutes ago, kingmaker said:

The US is significantly more expensive, but IMO it's more worth it. If you go to St. Georges, you will be at a disadvantage in terms of residency. You will likely only get into Family Med and/or Psychiatry, if at all. Personally, I know people who got into IM and PMR, but those people are practically geniuses that did mediocre during their UG because of personal issues. 

Getting into US med schools might actually be easier than you think. Because both are marked using different things, your grades might be inflated depending on the school you went to.

Remember that if you decide to go there (or even the US), you have to write the USMLE Step 1 and 2 for residency. Those exams are killer and in the Caribbean, many fail them.

The US is actually not that more expensive- Low/mid tier US med schools are actually really similar and even lower in tuition rates compared to St. George specifically. Only a select number of Caribbean schools are actually cheaper than US med schools, though those don't have on par clinical placements I've heard compared to St. George. But yes, any US med school is waaaaaaaaaaaaay better than any Caribbean one if you can get in.

Lol, my bad. For some reason, I thought the costs of going to St. Georges was the same as Ross and SABA (which are similar to Canadian med schools). If the prices for St. Georges is the same as a US med school (which it seems like it is), then the choice is a no-brainer.