Premed 101 Forums

The HOLY GRAIL of Casper Preparation - A Definitive Guide to Acing Casper

12 minutes ago, Dr. A said:

Hey TutorGOAT, are you in any shape or form affiliated with B.e.m.o or A.s.t.r.o.f.f. or any other companies? (sorry if i name the companies like that, the forum deletes my comment when I name them)

By the way, I believe that feedback can actually hurt your originality.. I'd say ask for feedback just to make sure you don't have any red flags in your answers (basically in your way of thinking) and that you kind of demonstrate the values they look for. But don't ask for someone to correct your answers WORD for WORD. Just my two cents lol

It does? it shouldn't........... unless there is direct advertising(?)

3 minutes ago, rmorelan said:

It does? it shouldn't........... unless there is direct advertising(?)

until now every time their names were used in a conversation I had, it did, but maybe it's because in most of my convo's people were telling me to use them. Maybe that's why

1 minute ago, Dr. A said:

until now every time their names were used in a conversation I had, it did, but maybe it's because in most of my convo's people were telling me to use them. Maybe that's why

hmmm not sure - I mean we don't object to honest reviews and discussion. Of course the forum is constantly targeted for free advertising for aggressive services - and we have butted heads with some of the companies (even recently) that are extremely threatening to negative reviews (even though I actually don't care about their objections ha - it is much harder to intimidate someone who has passed through the system than someone at the beginning and I don't like bullies). 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/28/2019 at 10:41 PM, TutorGOAT said:

Hey Ezpz, I think you mean well, and your underlying message is sound, but there is some serious danger to your advice and you're completely missing the point of my post. Of course having deep, meaningful social experiences will enrich one's casper answers and allow them to approach the test confidently, but it doesn't automatically mean you'll be in the best position to do well on the test, and many of my friends with beaming personalities did not make it past the casper stage.

To address your first point, I'm not advising a super fast typing speed, I'm advising the NECESSARY typing speed to be competitive. I know this from experience because I have a friend with a perfect GPA and top CARS score who was not given a McMaster interview since he types, for lack of a better term, like a cave man!  I even stressed in my post that after a certain point, trying to increase typing speed is a waste of time, but advising people that it isn't a factor is just negligent. This is also something that was told to me by numerous people who passed the casper.

So, go ahead and tell people that working on one's personality is a good idea. Of course it is, it's a brilliant idea and I honestly hope that those seeking to be physicians are constantly seeking to better themselves in every aspect of their life, let alone just personality-wise. However, as advise for studying for a test? What kind of timespan do you think people have to see experimenting with certain words in social situations (Weird flex) translating to an improved approach to a written test? 

As well, I want to address that I did not say it can be done in a week; this is something that should be done over the span of at least a month, which is again, not my own opinion but a general consensus among people who did well on casper based on their stats. It's a nice sentiment to think that a good personality will carry you through every step of this process, but that's simply NOT true, especially with casper. 

Final thing; While I can't speak for why I wasn't admitted last year, I can say with the utmost honesty that although some of the best people I know were accepted last year, there was still a significant amount of people who (again, for lack of a better word!) seemed to lack in the personality department. These people got in by systematically approaching the interview process with hard practice, and I respect their hard work (even if their personalities didn't scream that they were an ideal candidate). So please, don't perpetuate the myth that all you need to get in is a nice personality since it's such a competitive process, this kind of discredits the immense amount of hard work that goes into every step. So fingers crossed that my personality AND hard work paid off this cycle :)

Congratulations on making it through the Casper and the interview into medical school, but whether it was on the strength of your personality alone or based on a complex set of other factors such as other parts of your application is something to be considered. All I can speak to is the experience of the numerous other people who I know did well on the test that specifically told me how to maximize my odds, and I wanted to share that. 

tldr; Yes personality is good, but that's one factor (it's situational judgment, NOT a personality test) and having a good personality has nothing to do with how you translate that personality in a 5 minute typing scenario or even in an 8 minute MMI. Ultimately, of course work on your personality (I think that goes without saying) but even the people who have good personalities should try their best to ace the casper and MMI by practicing and equipping themselves with the best information/skills going in!!!

WELLLLLL SAID! 

• 11 months later...