Premed 101 Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ot288

U of A OT Acceptance Disaster

I haven't experienced anything like this, but I got accepted to U of A this year as well and I just wanted to wish you the best of luck in this situation because it really is anxiety inducing! 

Looking at this Canada Post document, it seems like because you mailed it on Sunday and there was no mail collection/delivery on Easter Monday, Tuesday would be count as the day of deposit ("day 0"), so the delivery standard is 4 days after that day. In other words, it would be the 4th business day on Monday. A 1 business day standard, for example, would have meant it would be delivered on the Wednesday rather than on the Tuesday. I'm not 100% sure if I've read the document correctly but it seems like Canada Post could still get your letters to them on time on Monday within their standard then.

I'm hoping Canada Post really does deliver within their standards and they don't drop the ball (as they like to do sometimes...ugh) and you do get to keep your spot though! It's such a struggle and so hard to deal with! =( 

On 4/28/2019 at 11:11 AM, TheAsianPride said:

I haven't experienced anything like this, but I got accepted to U of A this year as well and I just wanted to wish you the best of luck in this situation because it really is anxiety inducing! 

Looking at this Canada Post document, it seems like because you mailed it on Sunday and there was no mail collection/delivery on Easter Monday, Tuesday would be count as the day of deposit ("day 0"), so the delivery standard is 4 days after that day. In other words, it would be the 4th business day on Monday. A 1 business day standard, for example, would have meant it would be delivered on the Wednesday rather than on the Tuesday. I'm not 100% sure if I've read the document correctly but it seems like Canada Post could still get your letters to them on time on Monday within their standard then.

I'm hoping Canada Post really does deliver within their standards and they don't drop the ball (as they like to do sometimes...ugh) and you do get to keep your spot though! It's such a struggle and so hard to deal with! =( 

Hey thanks for your response! Your breakdown makes a lot of sense, and is probably what ended up happening with the original letter sent out. In the end, I was completely saved by a kind stranger over at the UofA subreddit who volunteered to deliver a copy of my letter to the office and write out a cheque to the school (e-transfered her). Lesson learned with the postal system though, I will certainly leave more leeway the next time I have to mail a letter.

On 4/28/2019 at 11:48 AM, Otpthopeful said:

Did you get it sorted?

Hey yes! I was completely saved by a kind stranger over at the UofA subreddit who volunteered to deliver a copy of my letter to the office and write out a cheque to the school (e-transfered her). I didn't see a delete button on the thread, so I just marked it so mods could delete it eventually.

1 hour ago, ot288 said:

Hey yes! I was completely saved by a kind stranger over at the UofA subreddit who volunteered to deliver a copy of my letter to the office and write out a cheque to the school (e-transfered her). I didn't see a delete button on the thread, so I just marked it so mods could delete it eventually.

Wow! That's awesome!

13 hours ago, ot288 said:

Hey thanks for your response! Your breakdown makes a lot of sense, and is probably what ended up happening with the original letter sent out. In the end, I was completely saved by a kind stranger over at the UofA subreddit who volunteered to deliver a copy of my letter to the office and write out a cheque to the school (e-transfered her). Lesson learned with the postal system though, I will certainly leave more leeway the next time I have to mail a letter.

Awesome to hear! I was actually reading the posts over there and saw that and that is so wonderful!

Speaking of which, if anyone is worried that they will be delayed if they need cheques, Canada Post does have a money order service that should save some time!