Premed 101 Forums

The easy part about the move is that you can get considered IP as long as you have a provincial health card/health insurance, which takes only 3 months-ish to get.

Have you applied to UBC before? It would be helpful to know what your file review score was before you planned the move, since we know IP and OOP cut off scores. UBC is still very competitive and difficult to get in to. I'm IP, with an 87% average, and only interviewed 1/4 cycles I applied. No masters, but also what I consider as average+ ECs. I've had the same EC entries for 4 years (except for the length of time involved) and my scores have increased and decreased between the years as well. Its hard to predict.

1 hour ago, Aspiring-Doctor said:

Hi, 

I am seriously thinking to move to BC for UBC med school. 

Since my cGPA is low (~3.6), I don't think my chances are good in my home province (Ontario), however, My wGPA coverts to around 88% at UBC and I have a masters degree and above average EC. 

Would moving to BC significantly increase my chances at UBC med school? This is certainly not an easy decision, and therefore your opinions will be greatly appreciated.d 

BC is a great place to live, but cost of living is very high as well throughout the province compared to many parts of Canada. So your ability to make it work for you will depend on job prospects and/or support from family. I didn’t move to BC for med school specifically, but it was the best decision I ever made. I love it here.

I am a bit surprised the grade conversion is so good for you at UBC - did you just have the one really bad year? Assuming all those stats are correct, moving would definitely improve your chances of admission to UBC - your stats would be competitive as an IP applicant.

Hi, 

I am seriously thinking to move to BC for UBC med school. 

Since my cGPA is low (~3.6), I don't think my chances are good in my home province (Ontario), however, My wGPA coverts to around 88% at UBC and I have a masters degree and above average EC. 

Would moving to BC significantly increase my chances at UBC med school? This is certainly not an easy decision, and therefore your opinions will be greatly appreciated.d 

I would advise against moving to BC if that's the only significant reason.  As @chiynadoll has mentioned, you will be able to get the IP status and that will probably increase your chances of receiving an interview solely contrasted to applying as an OOP, but nothing is guaranteed of course.  Since you've said it is not an easy decision to make, I'd be worried if you move to BC with lots of difficulty and, God forbid, you don't get the outcome you desire.

Are there any other reasons or benefits you have in mind regarding moving besides just UBC med?  Perhaps a better job situation, relatives/family in BC, other academic programs, etc.?  If you do have other relatively significant reasons to come to BC, then that could work as you can hit multiple birds with one stone.

Thanks a lot for your input! I think I will wait till I find out my file review score before deciding. And yes, UBC med is probably going to be the only reason for my move, although I do have relatives in BC, I have never been to Vancouver myself. Thing is I really wanna do medicine, and Ontario is just so tough to get in :( 

Yeah, I definitely hear you and understand what you mean.  It’s a very smart decision to get an idea of your file review first before deciding to move to BC.  Moving is a huge step so it’s best not to rush it if you can manage for now :).  Wishing you all the best!