Premed 101 Forums

5th year or GRAD school?

Hi all,

Solely based on my GPA (MCAT isnt a problem) , which is a better route for Canadian medical schools?

1 3.08

2 2.96

3 3.64

4 3.93 (I turned my life around)

I probably would land a better GPA during my 5th year. BUT, I just had a discussion with my PI and she thinks its better for me to do a research based graduate degree (she said I'll probs get 2 first author pubs) rather than do an extra year for Western and Queens (2YR GPA) only. She says at least for UofT/Queens, they pool the graduates based on their graduate work, but doesn't my undergraduate GPA also play a huge factor in addition to my graduate work? 

However, in my opinion I think this is my best choice -> 5th year for Western and Queens 2yr GPA and APPLY DURING 5TH YEAR (conditional offer for Western and a less competitive GPA for queens) 

There are so many other scenarios e.g. dont get in 5th year and apply during a gap year for a higher 2YR GPA; dont get in 5th year and do a masters; no fifth year and do a masters...

The list goes on but I just want some opinions/advice. 

Thanks!

Unless your calculated U of T wGPA  is much better,  the research masters probably wont be enough to get the interview even in the grad pool.      Two 1st author pubs inside a 2 yr masters timeframe is also a pretty tall order.     I would do the 5th year. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/30/2019 at 8:41 PM, recognizingYOLOlate said:

Hi all,

Solely based on my GPA (MCAT isnt a problem) , which is a better route for Canadian medical schools?

1 3.08

2 2.96

3 3.64

4 3.93 (I turned my life around)

I probably would land a better GPA during my 5th year. BUT, I just had a discussion with my PI and she thinks its better for me to do a research based graduate degree (she said I'll probs get 2 first author pubs) rather than do an extra year for Western and Queens (2YR GPA) only. She says at least for UofT/Queens, they pool the graduates based on their graduate work, but doesn't my undergraduate GPA also play a huge factor in addition to my graduate work? 

However, in my opinion I think this is my best choice -> 5th year for Western and Queens 2yr GPA and APPLY DURING 5TH YEAR (conditional offer for Western and a less competitive GPA for queens) 

There are so many other scenarios e.g. dont get in 5th year and apply during a gap year for a higher 2YR GPA; dont get in 5th year and do a masters; no fifth year and do a masters...

The list goes on but I just want some opinions/advice. 

Thanks!

Do the 5th year. A Master's will not help you for Canadian Med schools trust me.

• 2 weeks later...

Do the fifth year and just make sure that you meet requirements for the courses you're taking in the extra year for Queen's and Western to count the year towards your GPA. Some Med Schools don't give any kind of bonus for a graduate degree, and will only consider undergraduate GPA when factoring in whether to give an interview or not. For example at Western since you don't have two years of 3.7+, they would not consider you for interview regardless of publications. It's just better odds to meet cutoffs at all schools, and I believe Western no longer considers GPA competitively after invite for interview so it would be to your advantage to be eligible for interview there. Whereas, for example, while Mac doesn't have a GPA cutoff, it is still weighted 15% even after your interview to determine whether you are admitted or placed on the waitlist.