Premed 101 Forums

Failed a Semester

Ok. It's a horror story: I failed my first semester of undergrad.  I recently failed a semester. I read in other places that failing even 1 class is terrible, but I failed 4, and I just completed my first year. Currently, I have 32 half-year courses left to complete. Can I salvage this of is there nothing I can do to salvage it? Any advice would be appreciated.

It is definitely salvageable.

1) Identify what caused you to fail the semester. If it's lack of organization/studying skills, or a mental health problem (or a combination of several things), get the help you need right away. See if you can get a letter of explaining this from a medical professional or a counsellor. Trust me this can help you in the long-term when applying to med schools since a lot of schools have an option of explaining poor academic performance.

2) Use this summer to fix this problem. This is much easier said than done. 

3) Focus completely on your next three years on undergrad. You need to completely crush the courses you're going to be taking. No slacking off. Focus on yourself, your health, and your grades/ECs.

4) Be optimistic. Many schools look at your best two years or last two years... some schools have an option of submitting a letter of extenuating circumstances. You definitely have a shot so don't give up yet. But first of all, focus on your problems, and focus on the next years ahead. You got this.