Premed 101 Forums

Any residents applying for transfer this year?

Hey, I’m a resident in Ontario. Posting on behalf of my partner who is also a resident and applying for transfer within province and externally but hasn’t heard anything yet. Anyone else in the same boat or with any news? Would appreciate any PMs or replies. The process is exceptionally unclear with rumors of some people already having confirmed transfers? While others havent heard? 

On 5/2/2019 at 1:21 PM, someoneelse said:

Hey, I’m a resident in Ontario. Posting on behalf of my partner who is also a resident and applying for transfer within province and externally but hasn’t heard anything yet. Anyone else in the same boat or with any news? Would appreciate any PMs or replies. The process is exceptionally unclear with rumors of some people already having confirmed transfers? While others havent heard? 

I know someone who transferred programs within UofT. I would ask your partner to double check with PGME transfer coordinator, they might know more. Best of luck :) 

6 hours ago, luggage said:

I'm not applying for transfer but I do know of someone who successfully transferred programs (but same specialty) within Ontario. I think they heard back a couple weeks ago. 

That's curious...wonder about the politics behind something like that.

19 hours ago, polarbear89 said:

The PGME at my school is notoriously bad with answering emails, just FYI. 

Call them. The PGME usually receives massive amount of emails, or show up in person.

Unfortunately, in 2019, calling someone by phone or talk to them in person is still better than emailing, which is difficult for busy residency schedule. 

11 hours ago, LittleDaisy said:

Call them. The PGME usually receives massive amount of emails, or show up in person.

Unfortunately, in 2019, calling someone by phone or talk to them in person is still better than emailing, which is difficult for busy residency schedule. 

For sure. I have tried that too. It is very hard to reach anyone in the office but definitely worth a try.

I'm looking to transfer specialties at the same site or to an unfilled position in another province. Unfortunately it appears that funding arrangements have undergone extreme changes in my location at least :(

Applications open Jan 1st IIRC for 2019/2020 resident transfers

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/19/2019 at 12:19 PM, shematoma said:

Are there any other stories of successful transfers this year (outside of CaRMS)? I'm hoping to transfer and need some examples of people succeeding at this to give me some motivation.

I’m also hoping to transfer (same specialty, same province), and I’m curious about what I should be doing now (ie. making connections, reaching out to people in the program I’d like to switch into, etc.).  If anyone has transferred successfully, I would love to pick your brain :P