Premed 101 Forums

Things you wish you knew before you started med

37 minutes ago, Giant_Anteaters said:

Hi there! What do you mean by a "stronger paper record"?

I’m guessing on paper it shows you’ve been interested in that speciality via research pubs/conferences, ECs around that speciality, etc. Vs someone who find a speciality late and doesn’t have those things.

7 minutes ago, Ss123toy said:

What do you mean "tolerate"? What's wrong with family med? Serious question, I'm a future applicant just lurking threads.

There are some people who can't deal with having to see patients all day / having to constrain appointments to 10-15 mins / having to treat the entire spectrum of illness. Those people can't tolerate FM. There are some who love that. Then, there are some who are ok with it. The premise is that if you're ok with all of that stuff, just do FM (because shorter training time, greater job mobility, whatever)

• 2 months later...
On 5/13/2020 at 11:44 PM, Butterfly_ said:

Osmosis subscription was so useful during pre-clerkship, I wish I got it sooner...for students who are non-trad and don't have a science background like me, it was a life saver. 
Toronto Notes is great for clerkship.

I'm hearing about this for the first time. I looked up osmosis and it seems mostly for the american curriculum (step 1, etc). Could you tell me a little bit on how you used osmosis? If you have a science background would you say it's unnecessary?

32 minutes ago, UwoToUo said:

I'm hearing about this for the first time. I looked up osmosis and it seems mostly for the american curriculum (step 1, etc). Could you tell me a little bit on how you used osmosis? If you have a science background would you say it's unnecessary?

Also to add to this, how does osmosis compare to something like Boards and Beyond or even the USLME step 1 book they put out (first aid I think?)?

I used osmosis to prepare for tutorials in preclerkship. The videos are concise and entertaining, great for visual learners. 

I guess whether or not something is necessary depends on your learning style and what you learned in your science background.

Did you have an undergrad degree that focused on pathophysiology, diagnosis and treatment? If you did, then probably not necessary I guess.

Do you like reading text books more than watching videos? Then Osmosis is also probably not for you. 

Honestly, in medicine, there are so many resources out there. As long as you study well with what you have, it doesn't matter what you use. 

Everyone's learning style is different, so best to know what style you are and choose the medium that suits you best. 

Osmosis is awesome for getting a concise summary of the key points of a condition in under 10 mins. I like it as a starting point for something I'm not familiar with, or when I just need to learn the basics fast. Also, videos are easier to take in when you are tired :)