Premed 101 Forums
Sign in to follow this  
medafter30

Booking vacation in residency

Hi everyone. I am an incoming PGY1 in family medicine. Just want to ask everyone on here about experience with booking vacation in residency. 

Was everyone going with a full 4 week vacation period? And if so how early in advance do you usually book? How does it affect rotation and what not? 

Thanks so much 

I think most schools have a rule of allowing only 1 week of vacation per block/month. You can potentially double that time for 2 weeks off if you get the last week of one bloc and the first week of the next block off.

Our school lets us do a "vacation block" where instead of an elective you just have that 4 weeks off if you don't take any other vacation that year. You'd have to get in contact with your PGME office relatively soon to arrange it but it should be doable as it wouldn't affect any other blocks. 

That being said, especially in first year that may not be the best idea. There are some service heavy rotations you'll probably prefer to do 3 weeks in, it can be hard to go for months and months without any break, and that elective block can be really valuable for networking/building skills/covering some weaknesses. I spread my vacation throughout the year and had some great electives and certainly don't regret it

I'd strongly advise against doing anything more than 2 weeks of vacation at a time even if you could. As Rorzo says you'll miss those weeks when you're going for months with no break. Vacation in residency is more of a sanity preserving exercise, although you can certainly make those short weeks count.

Thanks so much everyone. I was asking in regards of a TOTAL 4 week vacation (not continuous :)). I just wonder if everyone ends up taking a total of 4 weeks in a year. :) i heard a few residents also saying that they spread some vacation period as a few long weekends (like having a Friday off in a week they are not on call in the weekends to make a long weekend). 

Thanks so much again for all the responses 

Oh god yes. Take every day of vacation you are entitled to, and all your conference time or anything else you get. 

And take it on the shittiest rotations. 

My last few years I took a week about every 2-3 months but PGY1 I definitely took it during the crappiest blocks.