Premed 101 Forums

Outdoor EC's?

Hey guys, fellow Canadian pre-med here. Best of luck to everyone waiting to hear back on an acceptance! I'm also waiting to hear back from a school in the next few weeks; I have no idea how I'm going to react regardless of an acceptance or rejection.

I'm planning out my summer, and it looks like I'll have more flexibility in my schedule compared to previous summers. I was thinking of finding an opportunity to get involved with an activity that would be relevant for someone who’s pursuing a career in medicine, and taking place in outdoor setting in Western Canada like in British Columbia, Alberta etc. I really enjoy the outdoors and hiking, and I’ve spent time in the Rockies in the past. This might seem like a different kind of question compared to others posted on this forum, but would anyone have an idea of opportunities (be it volunteering or employment) they got involved with that took place in the outdoors and was relevant to their pursuit of medical school? I figured I would post this in the U of A forum considering the likelihood of its med school applicants having knowledge this haha. Are there any internship/shadowing etc programs similar to what I described some you may have undertaken? Any feedback would be appreciated :)

Good luck in the next few days!

It may be too late, but contact Camp Quality - they do summer activity camps for children diagnosed with cancer in different provinces. Each camp is only a week, but was a fantastic experience. (The Alberta camp is held at Sylvan Lake.)   https://campquality.org/

The Alberta Parks also uses summer volunteers for field research, and there are field research positions with UofA as well as Athabasca University, but again, you may be too late. The application deadlines are much earlier, I think.