Premed 101 Forums

Fall 2019 I will be starting an Honours B.A in Psychology at UOttawa and plan on studying in medicine, completing all my science prerequisites. I know that there isn't a specific degree for medical school but every now and then I worry. Is it really a problem? Should I make the program change(if I can)? Did you or do you know anyone who has gotten into medical school with my degree?

sincerely,

a (slightly) worried pre-med student :wub:

I'm not the best example, because I also have a Masters, but I have an honours BA in psych and I just finished medical school. There were a few people in my class who came from psychology and other BA programs, so I don't think it's an issue. If you are really worried then the best person to talk to would be the admissions department at whatever schools you plan to apply to, just to make sure you are able to plan your degree effectively in order to include any pre-requisites etc. 

EDIT: Also not a University of Ottawa student (but coming to uOttawa for residency!) so again, best to talk to admissions :-) 

Edited by MSWschnoodle
Adding clarification

My closest friend in med school did a completely non-science degree, got in OOP on a fluke, and then became our class superstar, publishing in the highest-end journals that exist.

Success definitely exists outside of traditional science degrees.

2 hours ago, studiesbyjenn said:

Fall 2019 I will be starting an Honours B.A in Psychology at UOttawa and plan on studying in medicine, completing all my science prerequisites. I know that there isn't a specific degree for medical school but every now and then I worry. Is it really a problem? Should I make the program change(if I can)? Did you or do you know anyone who has gotten into medical school with my degree?

sincerely,

a (slightly) worried pre-med student :wub:

Did that exact pathway and interviewed for med this year. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions! :)

Just now, porcupine said:

Did that exact pathway and interviewed for med this year. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions! :)

Just now, PhD2MD said:

My closest friend in med school did a completely non-science degree, got in OOP on a fluke, and then became our class superstar, publishing in the highest-end journals that exist.

Success definitely exists outside of traditional science degrees.

Just now, MSWschnoodle said:

I'm not the best example, because I also have a Masters, but I have an honours BA in psych and I just finished medical school. There were a few people in my class who came from psychology and other BA programs, so I don't think it's an issue. If you are really worried then the best person to talk to would be the admissions department at whatever schools you plan to apply to, just to make sure you are able to plan your degree effectively in order to include any pre-requisites etc. 

EDIT: Also not a University of Ottawa student (but coming to uOttawa for residency!) so again, best to talk to admissions :-) 

Wooow! Thank you all so much <3 That was reassuring.