Premed 101 Forums

Notification of offers and waitlist status

Can anyone explain how the process works with omsas offers? Namely, if we get one offer and several waitlisted, how long do I have before the offer expires? Can the status of the waitlisted change to offer while I think of accepting the original offer I rec'd on day one?

For waitlisted status is there an ordinal positioning in the waitlist que like I'm number 400 vs 10th ?

Do I get an email from each university with my status or only in omsas? Can universities email me if my status changes as it happens from wait to offer?

Is this process documented somewhere?

16 hours ago, billy55555 said:

Can anyone explain how the process works with omsas offers? Namely, if we get one offer and several waitlisted, how long do I have before the offer expires? Can the status of the waitlisted change to offer while I think of accepting the original offer I rec'd on day one?

For waitlisted status is there an ordinal positioning in the waitlist que like I'm number 400 vs 10th ?

Do I get an email from each university with my status or only in omsas? Can universities email me if my status changes as it happens from wait to offer?

Is this process documented somewhere?

1. You get an email on May 14. You have 2 weeks. So until May 28. The only school that will move it's wait-list before May 28 is Mac, so unless you are waitlisted there, no point in waiting.

2. Not in Ontario.

3. Each university, but OMSAS will update to reflect any offers through which you have to accept the offer.

4. I don't believe so, but the OMSAS manual may be useful to read.

Also have a question about this if anyone can help. 

Does accepting an offer from one school take you off the wait list for other schools? Just wondering what would happen if I received an invite to my last choice school, for example, while being waitlisted at my top choice school. Could I theoretically accept an offer to hold my spot and upon receiving an invite off of a wait list elsewhere, switch which school I am accepting? Of course, I realize I may lose a deposit ... I’m just curious to how the process works. 

Would be so so happy to have an offer from any school - good luck everyone!

5 minutes ago, futureMD95 said:

Also have a question about this if anyone can help. 

Does accepting an offer from one school take you off the wait list for other schools? Just wondering what would happen if I received an invite to my last choice school, for example, while being waitlisted at my top choice school. Could I theoretically accept an offer to hold my spot and upon receiving an invite off of a wait list elsewhere, switch which school I am accepting? Of course, I realize I may lose a deposit ... I’m just curious to how the process works. 

Would be so so happy to have an offer from any school - good luck everyone!

Yes, if you accept one Ontario school, you will automatically get taken off of your waitlisted Ontario schools. Unfortunately last year this happened to someone here in the forums, I think he accepted on one day and got accepted in to his dream school the day after but it was already too late. 

You can choose to wait for your waitlisted school but there’s no guarantee that you’ll get it. They don’t tell you where you’ve are on the waitlist in Ontario. 

• 3 years later...

I am in this exact situation today, got an offer from UofT and waitlisted at uOttawa. I am from Ottawa and currently in undergrad at Ottawa. uOttawa doesn't tell your waitlist position. UofT offer only good until May 23rd, so will accept it because waitlist won't move that fast. Don't get me wrong, I am extremely grateful to get an offer. And will get a loan to afford living in Toronto. I was wondering if OMSAS and Ontario schools are doing anything to fix this timing issue?