Premed 101 Forums

FM to IM / Neuro transfer

Hello everyone, 

I'm an IMG who recently matched to an FM program in Ontario, but am strongly considering a transfer to IM or Neurology. I'm just wondering if anyone knows of any success stories of transfers along the same lines. I'm aware of the internal university transfer process that takes place around January, but I'm also aware that transferring from FM to a specialty can be difficult given the discrepancy in funding. 

Just a bit of background about, I was an IM resident in Australia, but decided to make the move back home due to a family member being ill. Cheers and any input/ advice would be much appreciated. 

12 minutes ago, tucan24 said:

Hello everyone, 

I'm an IMG who recently matched to an FM program in Ontario, but am strongly considering a transfer to IM or Neurology. I'm just wondering if anyone knows of any success stories of transfers along the same lines. I'm aware of the internal university transfer process that takes place around January, but I'm also aware that transferring from FM to a specialty can be difficult given the discrepancy in funding. 

Just a bit of background about, I was an IM resident in Australia, but decided to make the move back home due to a family member being ill. Cheers and any input/ advice would be much appreciated. 

FM to IM, especially at your home institution might not be too hard given how many large IM programs are and there is only 1 year of funding missing. Neurology might be a bit trickier because for the exact opposite reasons.

22 minutes ago, PhD2MD said:

FM to IM, especially at your home institution might not be too hard given how many large IM programs are and there is only 1 year of funding missing. Neurology might be a bit trickier because for the exact opposite reasons.

Cheers! I figured transferring into Neurology would be super tough. I'd really be happy with either specialty though, so I'll likely try my luck with IM