Premed 101 Forums

Calgary vs McMaster Med School

Can anyone provide insight on choosing between Calgary and McMaster for med school? 

In terms of program, matching for residency after, heaviness of schedule, etc?

Any insights would be hugely appreciated! My friends and family are all closer to Mac but I think Calgary is a way more beautiful place to live. 

3 hours ago, nunu said:

I have MD in the family and know for sure that MacMaster medical program is the most respected in Ontario and will say in Canada!

Not original poster, but am interested. How much do you think this actually matters for your career?

5 minutes ago, GH0ST said:

It doesn't. What you are capable of matters more than where you got your MD. 

- G

That's what I've heard many times so I was a little confused. Interested to see if nunu posts or if anyone agrees with him. Something I'm actually struggling with a little right now as I might end up with a couple offers haha.

13 minutes ago, tehol123 said:

That's what I've heard many times so I was a little confused. Interested to see if nunu posts or if anyone agrees with him. Something I'm actually struggling with a little right now as I might end up with a couple offers haha.

Go where you want and have the best personal support for yourself... it's going to be a long 3-4 years and residency more so. 

- G

14 minutes ago, VladTheLad said:

LOOOOOOOOOL WTF???

Nothing against McMaster which I’m sure is an excellent school. To call it the best in Canada without any information to substantiate that claim is a bit much. 

I’d suggest to the original poster that if they’re fortunate enough to get offers at multiple schools in different parts of the country they choose based on what they think of the city or region, 3 vs 4 year program, or other factors specific to each program. There is no best and worst school. Ultimately, it will be what you do, not which school you attend, which will determine your experience, residency match, etc. 

1. Calgary probably is prettier

2. McMaster does have a pretty solid international rep, especially for research. It's a clinical-research powerhouse and pound for pound I believe it IS the highest productivity/impact school in Canada.

3. International rep has no impact on your career...Canadian MDs are recognized as among the best trained in the world, regardless of school

4. Personal supports are important. Don't take that bit too lightly.

6 hours ago, soruke123 said:

Can anyone provide insight on choosing between Calgary and McMaster for med school? 

In terms of program, matching for residency after, heaviness of schedule, etc?

Any insights would be hugely appreciated! My friends and family are all closer to Mac but I think Calgary is a way more beautiful place to live. 

To address your last point - I'm from Edmonton (3 hours away from Calgary) and I personally don't like Calgary. Its an okay place to live (except for the winters) but when I interviewed at the Foothills campus where most of the med classes and stuff are I believe, it was like one big building and the location was kind of isolated from downtown, which I didn't like. Maybe because I was comparing to my own campus here but based on that factor I'd pick McMaster. Plus your family and friends are there which is a bonus in my opinion! 

If you're from Calgary, Calgary is a lot cheaper. Our tuition is only ~15k/year, and if you have a place to stay with family, that saves a substantial amount of money. Calgary's winters, while cold, are incredibly sunny. Having the school not be downtown is nice, because you don't have to deal with parking/traffic downtown. I have heard Calgary's anatomy is a bit better, so that might make a difference for pursuing surgical specialties? Unlikely though. Regardless, Calgary has a strong push towards family medicine.

It doesn't really matter though... If you're a good medical student, you'll be a good medical student regardless of where you go, and you'll match to what you want to match (probably).

Edit: Anyone who thinks Edmonton is better for winters than Calgary has clearly not lived in Calgary for very long... On average it's like 5 degrees warmer, and there's by far more to do here regardless of the season.