Premed 101 Forums

Waitlist Movement

58 minutes ago, griffin123 said:

has anyone IP been offered a position off the waitlist 

I haven't heard of any! I read on a blog post comment that OOP tend to get off the waitlist first since their preinterview score had to be high, so their overall score tends to be higher.

I also kind of assumed that since the deadline for the first round that came out on Monday is Friday, that we won't hear anything until at least next Monday? 

5 minutes ago, Ellewoods said:

I haven't heard of any! I read on a blog post comment that OOP tend to get off the waitlist first since their preinterview score had to be high, so their overall score tends to be higher.

I also kind of assumed that since the deadline for the first round that came out on Monday is Friday, that we won't hear anything until at least next Monday? 

oh i thought the deadline was the 24th -so we would have heard by now, but maybe it takes longer :(

43 minutes ago, qaws222 said:

I wonder how they're sending these offers. In batches or individually? It seems really slow this year. Only 4 people on this forum has gotten off. Obviously premed101 isn't fully representative but still. My hope is fading....

I totally agree :(
I was thinking of calling the office just to ask for any sort of update... not sure if that's inappropriate though? 

11 minutes ago, Ellewoods said:

I totally agree :(
I was thinking of calling the office just to ask for any sort of update... not sure if that's inappropriate though? 

I've thought about calling the office to double check if they have my email correct lol. Like what if I was supposed to be sent the email but what if it was sent to the wrong address??? Neurotic thoughts lol

25 minutes ago, qaws222 said:

I've thought about calling the office to double check if they have my email correct lol. Like what if I was supposed to be sent the email but what if it was sent to the wrong address??? Neurotic thoughts lol

Your status on UCAN will change too. So I would check there as well to make sure you don't miss the email :) 

4 minutes ago, qaws222 said:

Does anyone know if the U of C will send out emails to those really low on the waitlist to tell them they probably won't be getting in? I heard something about that but just wanted to confirm. Searching for ways to keep my hopes up here haha

Last year they did but I haven’t seen anything this year yet. Here’s the med blog post from last year on June 6: http://mdadmissions.ucalgaryblogs.ca/2018/06/06/waitlist-update-june-6-2018/

7 minutes ago, qaws222 said:

Does anyone know if the U of C will send out emails to those really low on the waitlist to tell them they probably won't be getting in? I heard something about that but just wanted to confirm. Searching for ways to keep my hopes up here haha

I imagine those emails will be sent out soon-ish given last year's timeline. The mdadmissions blog gave a few updates last June about movement on the waitlist, but so far it's all radio silence...

Yea I saw that blog post. It seems like things are a bit different this year since medlol got until June 7 to accept (5 days) instead of the 2 days the blog post was saying. If I'm not mistaken, they're changing things up at the U of C right? Especially with the staff change. The waitlist limbo continues....

Seems like there is much more movement for Edmonton compared to Calgary. I wonder if that has to do with Calgary giving more additional offers (blog post last year indicated many more offers given then positions available.) Or people recognizing the value of the three year degree. (one less year rent, no need to look for summer jobs etc.)

Main reason is that Calgary interviewed more people this year. Calgary's selection process also favours those with more experience (like older applicants) who are guaranteed to accept their offer for Calgary. Calgary also has a slightly lower acceptance rate than UofA in the past few years.