Premed 101 Forums

If you do a U.S. FM residency, can you come back to Canada to work?

Hi all,

I am currently a Canadian student at a U.S. med school with interests in FM. Quick question: if I were to do a FM residency in the U.S., how would it work if I wanted to come back to Canada to work? What is the process like? (Since the U.S. FM residency is 3 years and the Canadian FM residency is 2 years)

I have been told that if I complete a U.S. FM residency, I will be able to come back to Canada and work. Is this true?

Also, on the CCFP website, there is a page (this link: https://www.cfpc.ca/recognizedtraining/) that talks about coming back to Canada after a U.S. residency. After the section on "approved jurisdictions" it says: "Note: These programs vary from Canadian programs in that training in intrapartum care is not compulsory." 

Does this "Note" have any affect on anything, etc.? (Are there certain U.S. FM residency programs that would not allow me to return to Canada after having completed them, or no? Will the vast majority of them allow me to return, etc.?)

Thank-you for any help/clarification!

• 2 weeks later...

As long as your ABFM is through an ACGME residency you do not need to take the CCFP exam as you are applying under the CCFP designation without examination policy. After submitting your paperwork you are sent an eligibility letter from the CFPC which you then use to apply for provincial registration. Once registered you submit proof of registration to the CFPC, at which point you are granted the CCFP designation.

On 5/10/2019 at 12:00 AM, blueskyguy said:

Does this "Note" have any affect on anything, etc.? (Are there certain U.S. FM residency programs that would not allow me to return to Canada after having completed them, or no? Will the vast majority of them allow me to return, etc.?)

Thank-you for any help/clarification!

The "Note" has no bearing on getting the eligibility letter from the CFPC as long as you meet the "Recognized Training" requirements. Issues arise when you apply for provincial registration. Some provinces may require residency training in obstetrics for registration while others may not have strict requirements (but encourage you to not include intrapartum care in your practice).

• 3 weeks later...

You don't need to take CCFP. And very few if any programs would have issues with the obstetrics thing. My understanding is that some programs deviate from the average in that they may have you do close to 100 deliveries or... barely have you hit the required 20. 

Generally, you will do a lot more stuff in a US residency. The 3 years duration being one part and then the heavy inpatient time. A lot of their FM residencies have the goal of training doctors who are equally competent to Internal medicine doctors for general inpatient care. Hence they compete for the exact same hospitalist jobs. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/22/2019 at 4:39 PM, icewine said:

As long as your ABFM is through an ACGME residency you do not need to take the CCFP exam as you are applying under the CCFP designation without examination policy. After submitting your paperwork you are sent an eligibility letter from the CFPC which you then use to apply for provincial registration. Once registered you submit proof of registration to the CFPC, at which point you are granted the CCFP designation.

The "Note" has no bearing on getting the eligibility letter from the CFPC as long as you meet the "Recognized Training" requirements. Issues arise when you apply for provincial registration. Some provinces may require residency training in obstetrics for registration while others may not have strict requirements (but encourage you to not include intrapartum care in your practice).

Thanks for the reply. Is the obstetrics thing a problem I should be wary of? If I were to finish a standard U.S. FM residency, my goal would be to return to Ontario to live and work. Do you know of any problems with regards to returning to Ontario with regards to U.S. FM residencies?

• 1 month later...

you don't need to take the CCFP - you will be taking the Am Board Fam Med exam

two pathways

-pass the ABFM (Am Board Fam Med) exam and graudate from US ACGME residency and get your state medical license

-alternatively do the above and pass LMCC1,2 and you don't need the supervision period when you come back to Ontario

• 4 months later...