Premed 101 Forums

Hey scott,

I've had pretty much 4 courses the entire time except for one term. But, I believe at a UBC med information session I had before entering undergrad the person there did say you might get some red flags. Perhaps they will question if you are able to handle the academic rigor? I did have a high mcat and high GPA, though.

I just liked the workload of 4 courses since it was a lot less stressful, and allowed me to focus more on hobbies and things I liked doing. I did work part-time for about a year, but no sports. I think one thing to look up also is what universities will really not like that you're not taking a full course load as you might be missing out on some potential schools. In general, I believe it does pose a risk as they will probably question your file when reviewing it at least somewhat, although it did work out for me. I think my MCAT score may have helped, but it's all speculation.

Hey!

I have a special case but it might be useful to hear about.

I did 8 part-time years for my undergrad, without a single full-time semester. It made me ineligible to apply for almost all med schools across Canada (only found that out once I started applying last summer. Quite the disappointment.) UBC seems unique in that they don’t care about full-time as much as other institutions.

I was just accepted to UBC. I had to write an extensive academic explanation essay to explain my strange transcript. I had another career as an athlete during my undergrad so my schedule legitimately prevented me from going to school. I guess UBC agreed. 

So, UBC might value full-time less than other places across Canada, but, I would really recommend checking the requirements for other places so that you are able to apply broadly :) 

On 5/13/2019 at 5:54 PM, SweetNothing said:

Hey!

I did 8 part-time years for my undergrad, without a single full-time semester. It made me ineligible to apply for almost all med schools across Canada (only found that out once I started applying last summer. Quite the disappointment.) UBC seems unique in that they don’t care about full-time as much as other intuitions.

I was just accepted to UBC. I had to write an extensive academic explanation essay to explain my strange transcript. I had another career as an athlete during my undergrad so my schedule legitimately prevented me from going to school. I guess UBC agreed. 

So, UBC might value full-time less than other places across Canada, but, I would really recommend checking the requirements for other places so that you are able to apply broadly :) 

+1 for this - I was ineligible for many Ontario schools because of my weird and variable course load throughout undergrad

On 5/13/2019 at 10:54 AM, SweetNothing said:

Hey!

I did 8 part-time years for my undergrad, without a single full-time semester. It made me ineligible to apply for almost all med schools across Canada (only found that out once I started applying last summer. Quite the disappointment.) UBC seems unique in that they don’t care about full-time as much as other intuitions.

Hearty Congratulations! :P