Premed 101 Forums

Anyone have suggestions on how to improve EC score/application

Hi so I just got my regrets from this application cycle and received an EC score of 4/17 which I think is the biggest thing holding me back. My gpa this cycle was 3.88 but I got 4.0 this year so it is now 3.92 for next cycle and I have a 518 mcat (129/129/130/130) and I also passed my interview which is why I think working towards ec’s would yield the greatest results but I’m not sure how to best increase my score. With u of a and their limited character limit this cycle I focused on describe the activity and my responsibilities and briefly what it has helped me approve upon. Does anybody have any advice? Thanks in advance and sorry for the big post just very confused on where to go from here.

Summary of EC’s from this cycle: football coaching/mentoring, tutoring, two long term jobs one where I got promoted, football for years with multiple awards and captaincy, undergrad research where I got a scholarship for a paper and 2xAIHS awards, overseas volunteering for 6 weeks, youth hockey team volunteering, rugby, and then some other small but long term hobbies and volunteering

things added for next year: graduate school recruitment scholarship + another grad school scholarship (starting msc), 1xAIHS declined and a NSERC USRA, pending publication in review, poster presentation at international conference and then more work and volunteer hours for some of the stuff listed above.

I wouldn't mind helping out in looking at the specifics. 

I would say however that most people have everything else you have outside of your sports accolades. A mistake everyone makes (I did too even for CaRMS) is underestimating how amazing other people's ECs are. 

Best wishes, 

- G

I would work on continuing your volunteering and make it regular. Get to know your verifier/reference really well. I thought I didn't have great EC's so I worked my ass off preparing for the interviews. Just because you passed doesn't mean you can't do better. Practice a lot. When you do the math comparing the importance of the interview to a single EC, it's vital IMO.

3 hours ago, GH0ST said:

I wouldn't mind helping out in looking at the specifics. 

I would say however that most people have everything else you have outside of your sports accolades. A mistake everyone makes (I did too even for CaRMS) is underestimating how amazing other people's ECs are. 

Best wishes, 

- G

Quick question for GH0ST: are ECs prior to medical school included in your CaRMS applications or is it only during medical school?

55 minutes ago, tehol123 said:

I would work on continuing your volunteering and make it regular. Get to know your verifier/reference really well. I thought I didn't have great EC's so I worked my ass off preparing for the interviews. Just because you passed doesn't mean you can't do better. Practice a lot. When you do the math comparing the importance of the interview to a single EC, it's vital IMO.

Very true and thank you for the advice, I of course plan on improving interview skills as much as possible as well. I just hope that if I can add to my ECs and write them better I can get 1-2 more points which would help.

does anybody know if they still mark the interview out of 7 per station and they just tell us if we pass or fail without giving us our actual score? 

1 hour ago, tehol123 said:

Quick question for GH0ST: are ECs prior to medical school included in your CaRMS applications or is it only during medical school?

It could be but considering in CaRMS your CV has a page limit you want to choose the most meaningful stuff. I only included really major things and my prior work experience during my Masters degree as it was relevant to public health and preventative medicine. 

- G

• 3 weeks later...