Premed 101 Forums
Alimali

Warning to OOP students applying to Memorial

I'm posting this late, but just to let OOP students know as a warning, be VERY CAREFUL of applying to memorial with a low CARS score or a section score. I had a very high MCAT (520+) and a near-perfect GPA, but I didn't even get an interview because of my 127 cars.

I called memorial, and they let me know that OOP interviews are purely based on academic standing and that they have section cut-offs that fluctuate every year, and tend to be around 128 for cars. This made me extremely angry as they did not state these section cutoffs ANYWHERE on their website, and made me waste hundreds of dollars/hours on their essays to apply to their school. It's a BS cash grab.

This is not to discourage future applicants, but it's to let them know for the sake of transparency that these section cut-offs do exist.

I can now update this to say I too have called Memorial admissions and they confirm that there are MCAT cut offs of 128/ section for OOP students (who are in fact, then,  not treated holistically). They get 400-500 OOP applicants/ year for 6 spots. 

Wow that reflects very poorly on Memorial. If there were secret cutoffs, they should have kept them secret. Now the cat's out of the bag and OOP applicants know they are not evaluated holistically, contrary to what is indicated in Memorial's application process.

Very bad.

Hey folks,

Just to add to this, admissions said that YES there is an AVERAGE accepted MCAT but not necessarily a hard cut off when deciding interviews. I received an interview and later acceptance with a 126 in CHEM/PHYS, 128 CARS, 128 BIO, and 132 PSYCH/SOC so it's not necessarily 128 every section cut off! My GPA was also 3.84 for reference. Hope this gives some hope to people with lower section scores.