Premed 101 Forums

How do u discuss authorships with a PI?

First and last authors are typically most coveted. First author should be the individual who contributed the most to the paper in terms of research/ideas/data. I'd say if you hypothetically removed that person's contribution, the paper couldn't be published since a large chunk of the story is gone. Last author is typically the lead investigator. After that, second author and after are ordered based on contribution to the paper (e.g. smaller projects that help tell the story of the paper, contributions to data production, idea generation). Each lab and PI can have different expectations at that point. Some are considerably more lax in who they include in authorship while others are very protective and want the shortest list possible. Sometimes PI politics can also play a role, especially with collabs. Things can get messier if you have inherited projects where contributions may equal out and you just have to compromise with authorship order.

Ultimately, it can depend on the situation. If you have questions, your PI should be the best person to ask with regards to how they envision publications. Hope that helps!

1 hour ago, casajayo said:

I'd also recommend having this discussion at the outset of the project, especially if you have expectations about getting first author. It can be an intimidating topic to bring up, but you'll be happier if everyone's on the same page before you get started

How do u go about discussing it? I would like to ne able to tapk about this topic in a tactful way

2 hours ago, med.goals said:

How do u go about discussing it? I would like to ne able to tapk about this topic in a tactful way

If you're not comfortable going the direct route, i.e. "Can we discuss the authorship for this project?" (which is fair!) maybe some options could be to discuss authorship in their research group in general terms (not specific to your project), like "I'm wondering how your group makes decisions around authorship?" or something along those lines and then lead the conversation towards your project specifically. Other options could involve using what your school has said you need to do as an opener like "Our professor told our class that we should be discussing authorship with our PI's before the project starts, what do you think?"

Overall it's a conversation that's going to have to happen at some point, and the good thing about doing it early is that if the PI wants you to do something in addition to your planned work to get that first author spot, then you still have time to make that happen.

5 minutes ago, casajayo said:

If you're not comfortable going the direct route, i.e. "Can we discuss the authorship for this project?" (which is fair!) maybe some options could be to discuss authorship in their research group in general terms (not specific to your project), like "I'm wondering how your group makes decisions around authorship?" or something along those lines and then lead the conversation towards your project specifically. Other options could involve using what your school has said you need to do as an opener like "Our professor told our class that we should be discussing authorship with our PI's before the project starts, what do you think?"

Overall it's a conversation that's going to have to happen at some point, and the good thing about doing it early is that if the PI wants you to do something in addition to your planned work to get that first author spot, then you still have time to make that happen.

Thank u :) That's helpful :)