Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (May 2019)

6 minutes ago, Inittowinit said:

While I'm not sure, apparently it has happened where people on the good waitlist dont get in, and other years people on the bad waitlist get in.

Also, does your email say anything along the lines of "based on your ranking we expect there to be a spot" or does it just say that you are on a waitlist?

And finally, go habs go! haha

True, tough times ahead. And no, it just says wait list. There was a forum post a while back of what the "2016 good waitlist" e-mail was and I had the same e-mail. I don't think their e-mail will say anything along those lines unless you're in the bad wait list (or so I've heard)

& YES ! Montreal winning it all next year...

Wrote this in another thread but wanted to share here that I am leaving my spot for someone on the waitlist :

Offer : accepted

Stream : French 

GPA : 3.99

Casper : felt good about it

ECs : lots of research and two grants (but only 2 papers) lots of student government, part of a foundation. Academic awards (governers medal in University), sports interests. Pretty varied.

Interview : my panel was extremely nice which threw me off because I heard they would be cold. I tend to be overly friendly when I am confortable, so I thought I lacked professionalism... guess not! But other than that, I think it went well, my answers were straight to the point, even finished a little early. 

Year : (completed two undergrads) first year of my master’s degree. 

Geography : Quebec resident

I'm looking for another nice, clean, organized and outgoing female** roommate to share a place at the l'Avantage Suites (reaaaally close to all the MD classes and CHEO hospital). Currently the rent range is 1500-1800$ for a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom apartment. The building also has a gym. 

I was accepted today in the French stream. Please message me if that sounds like you <3 Edit we'd have to FaceTime and all and make sure we can be friends as the lease is of 1 year.

hey guys, 

I’ve been bad waitlisted… It may seems weird to say, I guess I just need to accept… but ah men !  I had a connexion with my panel, they were really warm and nice, they complimented my answers, I was genuine and not overly nervous. I mean… I really wonder how is it that I am BAD waitlisted ? I bombed the interview without knowing it ?!  Like waitlist is okay, but BAD……. 

Anyways, I was wondering if the admission office can provide any sort of feedback or whatever ? Do you know ? I’m too scared to call or send an email, I’m paranoid !  :P 

On 5/14/2019 at 9:28 PM, DrDrDrDr said:

hey guys, 

I’ve been bad waitlisted… It may seems weird to say, I guess I just need to accept… but ah men !  I had a connexion with my panel, they were really warm and nice, they complimented my answers, I was genuine and not overly nervous. I mean… I really wonder how is it that I am BAD waitlisted ? I bombed the interview without knowing it ?!  Like waitlist is okay, but BAD……. 

Anyways, I was wondering if the admission office can provide any sort of feedback or whatever ? Do you know ? I’m too scared to call or send an email, I’m paranoid !  :P 

Unfortunately, they do not. Please refer to here: https://med.uottawa.ca/undergraduate/admissions/faq I wish you the best of luck, don't give up!

On 5/14/2019 at 9:28 PM, DrDrDrDr said:

hey guys, 

Hey. I know this might not bring significant solace, but just know what this process in itself is very, very difficult and complicated. From what I understand, this boils down to simple numbers i.e. GPA and interview score. The interview score in itself is a number - a number averaged out and assigned. In other words, we’re talking about a potential decimal place of a difference (if they use decimals) between how they go through their list. From past posts, it’s not impossible for the “bad” waitlist people to get an invite either. So don’t lose your hope entirely yet. A colleague of mine got into U of T off the waitlist TWO days before classes started. This is primarily luck at this point. 

Going back to discussion, since the GPA plays a role as well, it could simply be that. Either factors are out of everyone’s control now and it is best to mentally let go of this process to avoid driving ourselves mad, anxious and unhappy, regardless of if you’re on the good or bad waitlist. Just know that we’re all in this same large boat, and you have a lot of people that can emphasize with what you’re going through. The answer in the end is try again, if this is truly a lifetime passion. 

Regarding asking for feedback, I wouldn’t do it until “the cows officially come home”. One, the email stated not to ask them for rankings, and two, I imagine as the process is still active and there’s still a chance, you might not even need it. 

Take good care. 

• 2 weeks later...
Salut à tous!! Félicitations aux admis! et bonne chance à ceux ayant reçu une réponse moins positive, faut pas lâcher, même si c'est difficile... Est-ce que certains d'entre vous comptent se désister de Med à l'UdeM s'ils sont pris en dent ou autre (pharm, opto, med vet...)? et qu'ils sont dans le contingent bac connexe pour médecine? SVP tenez moi au courant!
  •